We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for insurance on Annapurna Trek

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendation for insurance on Annapurna Trek

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trek to the ABC. Does anyone have any recommendation for an insurance (medical, and evacuation, if necessary) just for this trek?

Thanks in advance!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for insurance on Annapurna Trek

Sorry, I can’t give you the specific recommendation for a company as the one I use only covers residents from Europe – However

Once you arrive in Nepal and before you go trekking you Must register your insurance with whoever will “Manage” your rescue.

You have two main options here and although, So far (Luckily) I haven’t need a rescue I have tried both options

1) Register your Insurance with Your Embassy, I did this on my first trek in Nepal and was Less than satisfied, I am from UK and the welcome I received at The British Embassy was unfriendly, and that was after 3 trips there to eventually find them open !! Then later I realised that if I needed rescuing and the embassy was closed then I would have to wait until the embassy re-opened – Particularly over weekends people there might be difficult to contact so this might not the best of options !!

2) Register your Insurance with a Trusted and Reliable Agent, This is easy if you have a Good Agent and especially if you are hiring Guides from them, You have to make a copy of your insurance certificate, point out the emergency telephone numbers, the policy number etc and leave it with him Some agents will also offer you this service if you are buying Lukla Flights, TIMS / ANCAP in advance so it is always worthwhile asking, even if you have to offer reimbursing any expenses the agent incurs with international phone calls etc – It is better that laying in pain – Or worse for days waiting !!

Agents can usually be contacted out of hours as they nearly all have mobile phones so this is my own preferred choice of where I leave my own insurance details.

Then if you need a rescue you contact whoever you have registered your insurance with and ask them to put one into action, they would then telephone the insurance company, giving the details of both the policy and why the rescue was needed and then as soon as the insurance company authorised the rescue they would telephone one of the Himalayan Rescue Associations and if necessary the helicopter would be dispatched.

A word of caution is that the helicopter won’t be dispatched until the Himalayan Rescue Associations are 100% sure that they will receive payment for the rescue,

Good Luck

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for insurance on Annapurna Trek

If you are hiring a guide through an agency he will probably phone the agent should it prove necessary. This happened to a friend of mine at Lobuche when he was trekking with me a few years ago. The guide, suspecting Acute Mountain Sickness, immediately phoned our agent, who, reassured by the copy of the casualty's insurance, put up the cash bond that produced a helicopter within 90 minutes.

3. Re: Recommendation for insurance on Annapurna Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:16