We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Mumbai (Bombay...
4 posts
Save Topic
Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Hi,

My friend and I are planning to do the Annapurna Sanctuary Trek.

Is it possible to cover this entire trek in 10 days? (From Pokhara and back to Pokhara).

Any better suggestions are more than welcomed.

Also it would be great if you can suggest all possible itinerary.

Thanks,

Arun

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

No Problem Arun

For people with a reasonable level of fitness I would allow 9 ½ / 10–to trek ABC – You could do it quicker but would put yourself at some risk of AMS, so hence only trekking half days after Bamboo !!

I have written out my own trekking schedule below – you might find it useful ;-)

1) Leave Pokhara in the early afternoon by taxi to Phidi and trek to Dhampus, Uphill, quite steep at times and passing through terraces, arriving there late afternoon

2) Dhampus to Ladruk – about ¾ days trek crossing one ridge then mainly downhill to Ladruk

3) Ladruk to Chomrong- about ¾ days trek downhill at first to cross the Modi Kosi at “ New Bridge” (No Bridge!!) and the Steeply uphill to Chomrong

4) Chomrong to Bamboo – about ¾ days trek, Steeply downhill on steps, the steeply uphill to Real Sinua and then downhill again to Bamboo

5) Bamboo to Himalaya – ½ day steadily up

6) Himalaya to Deurali -- ½ day steadily up

7) Deurali to MBC - -- ½ day steadily up

8) MBC – ABC – Doban - Full day, up early, breakfast at ABC then return downhill all the way to Doban picking your pack up at MBC when passing

9) Doban to Chomrong -- ¾ day with one up and over and a pull up to Chomrong

From Chomrong I trekked towards Poon Hill but you could trek Chomrong to Nayapool in one long day and catch a bus back to Pokhara from there

Good Luck

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,082 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

10 days is enough time to trek this route and acclimatise safe;y. A sam[le itinerary here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c136157/Nepal…

This map might be useful (click to zoom):

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

scoodly

Mumbai (Bombay...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Thanks Rob and Scoodly for your suggestions.

If we were to take the Ghorepani-Poon hill route while coming back, how many days in all would it take to complete this trek?

We will be arriving at Kathmandu on 17th Mar evening and planning to leave Kathmandu on 29th March morning.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

No Problem

This is the way we did it from Chomrong

10) Chomrong to Tadapani - Full day - You cross one small ridge, then it is considerably up, initially through terraced agricultural land, then into forest before finally reaching Tadapani

11) Tadapani to Ghoropani (Poon Hill) ¾ day - first down through forest, then you undulate through a mixture of agricultural land and more forest, one small up and over then generally downhill into Ghoropani.

12) After getting up at the crack of dawn to see the sunrise on the top of Poon Hill, we continued down to Tatopani, but as you will be heading back to Pokhara you could trek down to Naya Pul in one long day and catch the evening bus back to Pokhara

So allow an extra 2 days

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

It is already possible in 7 or 8 days, so 10 days is more than enough time. If you have extra days to spare, you can detour to Ghorepani Poon Hill on your way back.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,082 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Such fast treks are possible subject to fitness and acclimatisation. A 7 day trek to ABC and back would breach the safe acclimatisation guidelines so you would need to know how to deal with AMS i.e. understand and recognise the symptoms and how to respond - in brief, descend. THE hra website has good information:

himalayanrescue.org/altitudes-sickness.html

It might be worth checking the altitudes of the sleeping heights of the villages (on the map above) against a proposed itinerary.

With more time I usually suggest Ghorepani/{oon Hill first because many people prefer to climb the 1000s of steps on the Naya Pul to G section rather than descend - easier on the knees going up though harder on the lungs. Also, the view from PH does not seem as impressive after ABC, On tight timeframes, however, it's probably better to go directly to ABC and Poon Hill if there is time. ABC is the main attraction and it would be a shame to go to PH and have to turn back before ABC. This could be because of AMS or other illness and injury; a stomach probl;em or turned ankle could slow you down considerably.

To give you the best chance of seeing both I suggest going directly to the trailhead from KTM rather than overnight in Pokhara. This will save some time at least - possibly a day if an early flight to P and taxi to Phedi or Naya Pul, Less time

Be aware too that transport to and from Pokhara could be delayed putting the flight out of Nepal at risk = aim to trek asap and leave any spare time as a buffer at the end.

Good luck.

scoodly

Mumbai (Bombay...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

So it's a big ask to finish ABC and Ghorepani in 10 days, but not impossible.

Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions, it was very helpful.

One last question if you had to choose between Ghorepani-Poon hill panoramic view and ABC, which one it would be?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,082 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

ABC every time, no comparison (in my opinion of course.

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

#5 has posted advice such as this in the past, but then gone on to ad that he was pre-acclimatised before the trek, so I both stick by my original estimate of about 11 ½ days to combine the two or 9 ½ for ABC.

I also think ABC is by far the better option IF you had to single one out from the two

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

I agree that ABC is a far more impressive option.

Look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c136157/Nepal…

for itinerary suggestions and comments