We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Topic
Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

I'm going to do the Annapurna Sactuary trek in April this year but i can't find any experiences about eating vegan in the lodges/tea houses. Can someone tell me if its possible to eat around this route without bringing my own food?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Its possible, everyday you will get separate foods from the menu that you order. Totally vegetarian foods are available everywhere on the trek so I guess there is no need to worry about it. You probably won't need to carry any foods just because you are a vegan!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Hi

As said above no problem for veggies and a began diet is possiblle too but, as elsewhere, choice is a little more restricted for vegans.

The staple meal is dal bhat which is usually vegan (sometimes served with curd): boiled rice, lentil soup and curried vegetables, It's probably available in every lodge on the trail. Another staple is momo but I assume the pastry is made with butter - others will know better. They come with a variety of fillings including ;just; vegetables. Noodles and pasta are available too but I don't know if eggs are used. Bread should be Ok; unleavened chapatis and tibetan-style bread (fried, usually in veg. oil).

The lodge keepers are very helpful and accommodating so will usually meet specific requests. Communicating your needs might be easier if you have a guide - he (usually) will have reasonably good English and you will have plenty of opportunity to explain dietary choices to him and he can ensure they are met.

It's probably not as easy for a vegan to get a varied and interesting diet as veggies so I would not rule out taking food on the trek with you.

Good luck.

scoodly

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

Hello

Yeah agree with above poster. Probably in trek its usually vegan unless you order the non-vegan. If you have a guide or porter they will definetly help you by communicating with the lodges owner to provide the food you wanted.so there wont be any problem regarding it during the trek.

Have a safe trip.

4. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 16:05
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

My cousin is an extremely strict vegan and just did the Annapurna Sactuary trek no problem. Our guide translated to the kitchen what she could not eat.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

This website might be of some use:

http://www.food-nepal.com/feat/intro_food.htm

scoodly

7. Re: Vegan Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:16