We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring porters

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Hiring porters

Can I hire a porter for the Annapurna circuit at Besisahar or should I bring one with me from Kathmandu?

What is the usual current daily rate?

Level Contributor
5,229 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring porters

You can do either and there are pro’s and con’s to both options

Hiring a porter through an agent in Kathmandu

1) You are guaranteed to have a porter without having to try to find one at the trailhead

2) You know exactly what rate you will be paying

3) He will come with insurance as well as clothes and footwear which are up to the trek

You have to pay his bus are so it could work out a slightly more expensive

Hiring a porter at the trailhead

It can work out cheaper

He probably won’t have and insurance (This means that you are responsible in case of accident or serious illness)

There is a possibility that he will want to re-negotiate his pay ½ way around the trek – Or leave you – Or worse still, take your belongings.

Good Luck

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,277 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring porters

Plus 1 for the above.

If hiring from the trail side it's a good idea to agree staged payments to ensure' loyalty' - say, 50% up front, the rest on completion. I have hiired porters at the start of a trek (ABC and Helambu) and it has worked out well. In fact, the best porter I have hired was from Sundarijal, his first job for a trekker - he was delighted to get a better rate and a tip - very different from heavy loads, lower pay and no tip.

I would say the going rate from a KTM agent is $15 per day including his food, accommodation and insurance. I don't know the rate from the trail side but it's usually little less though the negotiations can be more fraught and chaotic than that in (most) KTM agents.

Good luck.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring porters

As Rob suggests hiring through a Kathmandu company is safer, though marginally more expensive. Given that the difference is slight I prefer to have the backing of the company

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring porters

It is better to hire from kathmandu . in my suggestion.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 12:10
Pokhara, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring porters

It is better hire either from Kathmandu or from Pokhara through Registered trekking company. This company will also help you to get ACAP Entry permit and Tims as well.

Thnaks and have a nice trip

6. Re: Hiring porters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now