We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Silver Spring...
4 posts
Save Topic
4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Hi, could I ask if anyone knows a nice, scenic route I can take in the annapurna sanctuary that can be accomplished within 4 full days, and 3 nights? The three of us are relatively fit 24 year olds. Also, what is the coldest and hottest it can get in this region around this time, i.e. May?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Hi

Getting to and from the sanctuary (also known as Annapurna Base Camp) would not be safe from an AMS point of view unless pre-acclimatised. It would also be quite a feat from a fitness perspective.

The ABC itinerary (top right panel) contains a lot of good information. It's possible to get a vehicle close to Ghandruk which would save some time and you can return as fast as you wish but you need more time for this trek. It's certainly worth checking dialy ascents of a proposed schedule against the AMS guidelines. The Himalayan Rescue Association has some excellent information on altitude and AMS:

himalayanrescue.org/altitudes-sickness.html

An alternative for 4d/3n is Ghorepani/Poon Hill plus Chomrong for the fit. This is sometimes known as the Annapurna Skyline trek - maybe google for itineraries.

This map might be useful for planning:

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

Good luck.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Scoodly, not only its not safe in point of Acute Mountain Sickness I think it's also not possible to reach and get back from Annapurna Sanctuary / Base Camp in 4 days. I would also vote for your suggested alternative of Ghorepani Poon HIll Trek. That is the best trek in Annapurna could be done in this time frame.

If you in case do Poon Hill Trek then I think the weather will be quite hot during the day walk. You might feel some cold if you hike to Poon Hill View Point early in the morning for catching sunrise. On the other places you can easily walk with shorts during the day.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Why not address your point to the OP, Rhythm D? Maybe you missed the sentence "It would also be quite a feat from a fitness perspective." For what it's worth, I know somebody who has done ABC in this time frame so it IS possible,

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

I was not being mean to you but was only having normal conversation in polite manner. I can't personally imagine ABC in 4 days. Do you mean it's both way [like going up and coming down] or only one way? he he....you didn't mention about that person who did ABC in 4 days so I only thought it wasn't possible. I can never imagine that.... Thank you for the update!

Edited: 07 May 2013, 17:23
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Lots of god info already posted

My Two-Penneth

Have you considered Mardi Himal – You could just about fit this into your 4 days – It would mean trekking long days, but no significant risk of AMS as you only spend one night above 3100m

Great views too

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/c4879/

Good Luck

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Hi Rhythm D

Perhaps I am being a little reactive but I think asking question rather than making a statement that something is not possible is more conversational and polite but now I understand your intentions better.

As it happens, I met a guy on the Langtang trek who was acclimatising for a fast ABC trek; he stayed at KG and above for a few days to acclimatise well. After a quick journey to the He went to the start of the ABC trek - Birethanti - and made it to MBC on the second night, up to ABC in the morning and was in Pokhara on the 4th afternoon. Applicable to the OP? Probably not,but I did give enough info for him to take on board the difficulties and resources to buidl a safe itinerary.

scoodly

Silver Spring...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Thank you Scoodly, Rhythm D and into-thin-air, the information you guys have provided is excellent! Much appreciated. I fully agree and I think we never really thought we'd ever make it up to ABC. Was wondering if it was possible within this time frame to start off from Pedhi, to get up to as far as Chomrong, before we head back down towards Pokhara, but not before taking a visit to Poon Hill along the way down. Would this be a reasonable trek, fitness and time-wise? Also, from a scenic point of view, would that be the best way to see the area?

France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

That should be fine I guess. If you are heading only till Chhomrong then it's doable within your time frame. I probably not understanding properly but I will write guessing your questions. If you also plan to go to Ghorepani then will be longer I think. Its like you will need two days to reach Chhomrong from Phedi in general, another two days to reach Ghorepani and another a day to back to Pokhara. In case if you are able to trek from Chhomrong to Ghorepani in a day then that should be OK. People do from Ghorepani to Chhomrong in a day. If you can do it then its scenic trek with wonderful Himalayan views. Poon Hill is simply awesome.

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

I also don’t think you could trek Phedi – Chomrong – Ghoropani – Naya Pul in 4 days

It would take 2 to get to Chomrong, Then another 2 to get to Ghoropani and 1 to Naya Pul

You could set of at Kande early morning and trek via Australian Camp as far as New Bridge on day one, Then to Tadopani on day 2 (If you went via Chomrong this would be a Very long day though) , Ghoropani on day 3 and Naya Pul on day 4 – But these would be Long days !!

Good Luck

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day, 3 night trek in annapurna sanctuary

Hi Sean T

It's certainly a scenic route and possible with long days, as said above, but there might not be as much time to catch the views as you might wish from having your head down and pressing on. Early starts and light packs are a good idea - you don't need much kit at all on this trek in May.

If Ghorepani is the main goal consider setting off from NP or Birethanti (taxis can get there, I understand) and overnight at Ghorapni and climb PH in the morning. This way you have a choice of routes: to Chomrong if time and energy permit or a quicker back if not. Options include Ghandruk and back to NP or continue to Ghandruk then down the ridge to Phedi (avoiding the climb to Dhampus or not).

If Chomrong is the main goal it makes sense to go there first and on to PH if time and energy allows.

Good luck.

scoodly