We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Hi,

I've just started organising a trip. My first plan was a beach holiday then I thought 8 days in Nepal and a few days on a beach in Goa but time means I'd spend much of my trip in transit.

So I've decided to do my full time in Nepal.

So my plan is to fly from UK on 4th/5th October to Kathmandu and fly home on 19th/20th so best case I guess I have about 13 days "free" for tea house trekking but I think 10 days might be more realistic as I will I want to factor in getting to/from Pokhara and some sight seeing in Kathmandu.

I'm thinking that I'd do the Annapurna Sanctuary route + Poon hill (I'd prefer to do the full Annapurna circuit but I don't think from looking at posts I'll have time) Is this an achievable plan?

I'm pretty fit (run ultramarathons and frequently walk in hills) so would hope I could walk at a good pace and from what I gather the altitude on this route isn't too high (although I've never walked at altitude given the UK doesn't have much over 1000m)

My other desire is to walk some summits - are there any achievable in this time scale or is poon hill the best way to reach a summit (although not a very high one) on my time restraints?

Regards to porters, can you only arrange these pre trek or can you arrange these once you've started your trek? (loathe to say "pick one up on the way" but that's sort of what I mean)

How easy is to to get to Pokhara from Kathmandu when I arrive?

How safe is it travelling as a solo female? I've seen a few articles about muggings and robbery.

What can I expect from the tea houses? How many trekkers do they tend to accommodate?

Hope you can help! I'll have more questions I'm sure! :-)

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Hi

Within your time frame you'd be able to get to the Annapurna Sanctuary - not a summit, but an incredible place ! See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c136157/Nepal…

for an itinerary.

You can arrange a porter in Pokhara, either on arrival, or (to save time) by contacting an agency in Pokhara )goggle, and contact a few of them - using a Pokhara, rather than Kathmandu, agent means you won't have the cost of transporting Nepali staff from Kathmandu) before you go. Ideally meet the porter before you begin your trek to check how much English he speaks, and personal compatibility.

Kathmandu to Pokhara is 6 - 8 hours by daily tourist bus (or 25 minutes by air !)

I've never travelled as a single female (!), but by and large Nepal is a very safe country, and trekking in October there will be lots of company en route (and you'll also have a porter with you)

Lodges range from small family-run places with 3 - 4 rooms to large pseudo-western hotels with dozens of rooms. On the ABC route Chomrong has numerous large, smart lodges. Beyond there it's mainly purpose-built lodges with 10 -12 rooms, perfectly adequate. Rooms are normally little twin-bed 'cells'

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Welcome to the Nepal forum and greetings from the land of the Himalaya

First of all well chosen your destination in your time frame

If you have 2 weeks time possible to do ABC trek include Kathmandu and pokhara. or you can do Annapurna circuit trek to in two weeks time but you need to flight out from Jomsom.

Nepal is safest destination for every traveler if we compare with other country, no problem to travel as solo female traveler too. And you are talking to hire porter so no problem at all.

I suggest you to hire Porter from government register company not the one you pick from the way.

If you hire porter from the company they will arrange your transport and trekking permits too. you may hire your porter from Pokhara too.

About cost

Porter cost: $15- $20( $15 for porter and $20 for guide and porter both. who will help to carry your bag and guide you same time , guide porter will be more knowledgeable than porter which will be better for you.

Permit: $22

TIMS $10 and $20( $20 for individual traveler per person and $10 from the company joining, when u hire porter from the company, you will get in $10 because you are joined in company.

Transport cost to and from pokhara: $8 by tourist bus each way, you can hire private car too which cost about $100. you may ask to any travel company in thamel for the tourist bus tickets or private transport they will arrange you.

Accommodation and food for trek: $25-$30 per person, October is high season and might be problem for the single trekker after chomrung on the way to base camp, in this area not enough teahouse ans some time might need to be share room with other same gender trekkers. all the trekking teahouse are nice and clean, private room with common toilet and bathroom, some of the place you will get private bathroom to but bit expensive,

Kathmandu and pokhara accommodation start from $10 you can choose yourself which standard you want.

You will get more info by the regular posters too

good luck

Edited: 04 August 2013, 13:42
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Hi again

This might be the good itinerary for your trip, i hope this itinerary will give you some idea for your trip.

Day 1 Kathmandu

Day 2 Drive to pokhara

Day 3 Drive Nayapul and start trek. trk to ulleri

Day 4 Trek to Ghorepani

Day 5 Hike to poonhill and Trek to Chullie (bellow down to tadapani)

Day 6 Trek to sinuwa

Day 7 Trek to Himalaya or Deurali

Day 8 Trek to ABC

Day 9 Trek back to bamboo

Day 10 Trek to Jhinu dada

Day 11: Trek to Naya pul and drive to Pokhara.

Day 12 Drive back to Kathmandu

Day 13 sightseeing around Kathmandu

day 14 Departure.

Good luck and hope you will enjoy your trip to Nepal

Sali

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Some good advice already posted

OK – Personally I think with around 2 weeks in Nepal and choosing your trek boils down to whether rattling off a couple of summits or going to Pokhara is the most important thing for you.

If it is the summits then forget ABC and switch to Langtang and spend a couple of days at Kyangin Gompa as there are a couple of little peaks you can do from there without having to pay extra (Peak fees)

As a solo female, picking your trekking staff is crucial – My “Advice is to spend an extra couple of $'s and go for a porter/guide and he will both guide you as well as carry 15k, so this saves you packing most of your gear, costs are around $20 per day including his food and accommodation as well as his insurance but not transportation to and from the trail-head or tip + you will need to pay around $25 /$30 for your own food and accommodation, $30 ANCAP or $37.50 Langtang National Park entrance fee and $10 TIMS  ($20 if you organise this in advance through an agent)

When hiring out “Staff” the secret of a successful trek is to set the ground rules Before you leave Kathmandu and these rules should include

1) Always interview your “Staff” Before you go trekking with them, Preferably get them to give you a walking tour around Kathmandu, Then they are away from the office, will be able to talk freely and you will be in a better position to judge their ability to communicate, character and if you are going to be able to get on well enough with them on your trek.

2)Ask if he has already trekked the route you are going on and how many times

3) Tell them that You Always retain the final say where you will stay and where and when you will eat.

Personally I am Happy to look at places recommended by my “Staff” (As I am aware that some places look after Nepali’s a lot better than others, better accommodation as well as better / cheaper food for them + if they get a little kick-back then as long as I am happy with the standard as well as the price that I am paying this doesn’t bother me)

4) I also mention to them that as long as I am happy with their services then they will get a Good Tip – I think this clears the air and gives your “Staff” that extra incentive to ensure that you are well looked after.

5) The agent that I use provides all his “Staff” with a mobile phone – I also think this is an excellent idea so that if there is a problem then (providing you have a phone Signal) these can be Quickly sorted out.

6) Before I start a trek is to have a rough schedule, then I know approximately how many days I will be trekking for, to this I usually add one buffer day, so If all goes according to plan I am usually back from my trek one day ahead, With this the agent that is use I can claim one days fees back, but in reality, as I have always been happy with my treks, I have never done this, but have ensured that my “Staff” are still paid the extra day.

Another system that the agent I use has is that if you want to extend your trek, if it takes longer than originally anticipated or if for what ever reason you are delayed then you can pay your “Staff” direct. This works well for everyone as the “Staff” in actual fact get more money as there is no agents commission deducted and as the agent has already had his cut he is (Or should be) happy as well.

7) It is also worth making 100% sure that your “Staff” are insured and that the agent is making sure that their clothing is up to the standard for the area / season you are trekking in.

It may sound like a bit of a list – But personally I think it is well worth that little extra effort at the beginning of your trek to help minimise potential unforeseen problems later :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Thanks all!

Into-thin-air - I'm undecided now!

I'd love to reach some summits but I also want the full experience of the trekking in Nepal - do both options provide this? #confused!

I just took a look at some of the peaks in the region you mentioned - will I have enough time to acclimatise to nearly 6000m?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,524 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Hi

The peaks that do not require a permit in Langtang are below 6000m and include Kyanjin Ri (about 4800m), Yala Peak (5033m spot-height on the map below, not the 5500m one - that needs a permit) and Tserko Ri (4984m).

They are all day hikes and you return to sleep at 3800m at KG so acclimatisation should not be a problem on standard itineraries that take take 3 days from Syabrubesi.

…umbra.cz/img/map/Langtang_1_100000_150_dpi_…

scoodly

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Langtang would be a good choice if you insist on a peak ! Kyanjin Ri (particularly the higher summit, not visible from below) gives superb views of Lantang Lirung, and across the valley to Nya Kanga. The only downside is that it will occupy 2 of your precious days in Nepal travelling from Kathmandu to Syabrubenshi and back

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Sorry for making you indecisive ;-)

Assuming this is your 1st time in Nepal, picking your trek is always going to be problematic – But as most people rarely visit Nepal once, whatever you miss this time can be picked of on future visits.

As Alan says, the downside of Langtang is the long bus journeys to and from the trailheads, but precisely because of this makes Langtang a much quieter trekking area that ABC, less crowded lodges and fewer queues for meals.

Personally I prefer the Langtang trek to ABC – But all treks have their merits (As well as their downsides)

I have trekked Langtang twice, last time was 3 years ago and I made a little series of videos that you might like to watch to give you a feel for the area

members.virtualtourist.com/m/vb/6ec/50192/

Near the bottom of the page

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking, whichever route you pick

Rob

PS – If you do decide on Langtang then don't miss exiting the valley on the old high level route via Sherpagon

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

Thanks - I think perhaps for my first visit I'll do the more "touristy route" and get a feel for the country and some confidence to go a bit further afield next time - it will be a good excuse to return too :-)

Thanks for sharing your pics Rob - looks amazing!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annapurna Trip Oct - 2 weeks - Summits/Advice/General tips

No Problem Anna – Pleased to be of help and thanks for your kind words about my pics.

ABC is a decent trek and not a bad choice for your first time in Nepal, personally I found it a little harder than I thought it would be as there are quite a few ups and downs, but there are plenty of lodges to choose from and you are sure to find other trekkers to share your experiences with.

This Spring I trekked Mardi Himal which is the ridge to the right of the ABC trek – Maybe another one for you to consider at some point ;-)

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/c4879/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob