We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna circuit in late December

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Topic
Annapurna circuit in late December

Hi all,

I'm planning my Annapurna circuit trekking in late December (probably December 26).

How's the weather like around December, 26 ~ early January? Some people told me that the temperature goes down to around -20 celsius. Is it true?!

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

I did the full Annapurna Circuit for the 3rd time in December 2012 - we started 3 Dec and finished about 30 Dec - we included a number of side trips.

I have now done 4 big treks in Nepal in Dec and January since 2010 - I have put up a post about my experiences: tripadvisor.co.uk/…48635811

I actually prefer to trek in Dec and Jan - the weather is generally at its clearest at that time, so you can get some fantastic views high up, and the trails are quiet or very quiet (I would not now trek in say Oct as it gets so busy). However I would advise against trekking solo because it is so quiet. You also get much better hotel prices in Ktm.

Temperatures outside, at night, high up in the winter probably will go to minus 20C or so, but it is not that much colder high up at night in Dec and Jan compared even with late Oct, and of course Nov. When I went to ABC in late Oct 2005, which is at about 4,400m, someone in another bedroom said that the lowest night time temperature in his bedroom was minus 4C - this sounds about right (he had a basic thermometer). With good modern thermal kit, I have never been uncomfortable at night in the winter. In the day, if it is cloudless, it can be surprisingly warm, as the sun is very strong high up.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Also if you are doing AC, do try and do some of the side trips - I wrote up a post about the side trips I have done: tripadvisor.co.uk/…51710335 The side trips add massively to the experience.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,506 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Hi

A couple of links that might be useful:

NATT Guide:

nepal-dia.de/Trekking_the_Annapurna_Circuit_…

Annapurna map:

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

I also trekked AC in December / January a few years ago and also really enjoyed my trek – Very few other trekkers on the route, but also VERY Cold, so go, but go well prepared with t Good Down Sleeping Bag, Good Down Jacket and plenty of Good Technical underwear.

You might find my kit list useful

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1d5096/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Hello

You got already usefull info by above posters. i think all above posters did AC with guide and porter on Dec/Jan. i suggest you to hire good guide for your trip from register trekking company for you trip. Make sure you have enough warm clothes and good guide, you may enjoy your trip very much.

Good luck

Sali

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Hello kmk1986,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

I trekked Annapurna Circuit couple of times with few side trips. I am hoping to return to Annapurna Circuit again in coming September to complete my incomplete journey of last time. December and January is winter season in Nepal so you will surely have cold weather. As you are trekking in late December it will be colder than other time.

You will need good boots, warm down jacket and sleeping bag. December is not popular season so you can also ask for extra blankets in the tea houses in case you feel cold with your sleeping bag. Some guest houses will have the blankets already in the room.

Good Luck!

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Thank you so so so much for all the information. I can now plan my trip accurately with right equipments.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 07:56
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

I think the most important thing to pack would be fly spray

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Re flies - one of the other benefits of mid winter trekking, in my experience, is that there are far fewer flies around especially compared with April - May and, from what I can remember, September. I assume this is because it is much drier, less humid and much colder at night.

Also in mid winter there are far fewer trekkers and so much less "load" on the kitchens and hence hygiene is kept to a higher (or less low) standard off season when compared with peak season. I have not had any stomach problems in my wid winter treks, except one time when I rather stupidly drank some chang beer (beer made locally from rice) - drinking home made raksi I have been fine. When I trekked in April and May I had a few, separate stomach problems at different lodges in both Annapurna and the Everest region.

Re temperatures when trekking in mid winter: during the day, if there is no cloud, as is usually the case in my experience, then it is surprisingly warm. If it is cloudy, and I have always had a few cloudy days in my treks, then it is much colder. At night the low temps should not be a major problem as people should be in the lodges.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annapurna circuit in late December

Hello kmk1986,

No problems about all the information we share. We are happy to do!

rdccomments is winter trek lover so his experiences are quite helpful for people trekking in Nepal during winter.

Good Luck!

Get answers to your questions about Annapurna Region