We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ABC info. for solo traveller

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Topic
ABC info. for solo traveller

Good day

I'm a 23-year-old man (Thai citizen)

I plan to trekking around Annapurna Circuit and go to ABC by myself, I have some questions.

1. mid Feb - mid March is suitable for trekking?

2. How many permits I have to get and how can I get permits from?

(** I don't want to take an agency service, could you please suggest me where can I get the

permit and how much its cost?)

3. Can I camp at ABC for couple of days?

4. Where can I take the Tourist Bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara?

Thank you

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

Sawadeekhap Khun Paak

Answers to you questions

1 - Mid Feb -Mid March is bit too early for trekking this route - Mid April is ideal - but you can do it

(and you weill see that there will be other people here who will say it is perfectly fine - just becasue they happen have endured it / done it haha...)

2 - You need national park entrance ticket and TIMS permit - both should run about $50 or so in total - you can get this on your own w/o any agent invovlement

3 - you mean lodges right? you are not planning to do this trek sleping in tents along the way are you? - there are lodges along the way and most of the people that trek stay in these lodges btw - and yes you can stay there for 2 days -

4 - You can ask any of the trekking agency in KTM - they wil help you get in touch with gazillion tourrist bus that leave to PKR on a daily basis

good luck

AJ

Edited: 14 December 2013, 03:35
Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

I would like to add, I supposed Paak wants to sleep at somewhere after base camp lodge {last settlement}, if so then it is not allowed. And there is no tourist bus available from Pokhara/ kathmandu to Beshishahar [for Annapurna circuit}. of course, you can hire private car....

Good Luck!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

why not walk from Pokhara, better than bus or car

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

walk from PKR to ABC??

hmmmmmmm............

that will turn a 10 day trek in 18 day day trek

in that case why not walk from KTM to ABC...

while at it why not walk from .........

.................never mind!!!

haha

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

Yes you can trek in that season.

It doesn't make sense to camp where there are lodges, such as ABC. Possibly you can hike further up the mountains and camp in a quiet spot, but it will be EXTREMELY cold.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

It's easy to walk back to Pokhara from Phedi. I was up at Jhinu Danda, and had a bus back to Kathmandu the next day. The problem was that there was a transport strike, so I had no choice but to walk all the way from Jhinu to Pokhara. It turned out to be an exhilarating day, and it is something that I'll definitely do again. Once you get down to Phedi, its only another 2-3 hours walk back to Pokhara. Really was good fun, along the way Nepalese, being the lovely people they are, would occasionally walk alongside and chat to me for brief periods. Highly recommended, and its cheaper than taxi / bus.

I wouldn't try and walk from Nayapul though.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

FYI, I did Annapurna Base Camp trek at the end of March, and the last approach towards base camp was in snow. Made it easier to walk to be honest... perfectly find to do it in March I would think.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

Some good info already provided and only a few snippets to add.

1) – March is my own favourite moth for trekking, mornings tend to have blue skies and are often quite warm, cloud tends to build around the peaks about mid-day and drops into the valleys as the afternoon goes on with a chance of rain (snow at altitude) in the late afternoon / evening – Not as many trekkers about, so no problems finding a bed for the night and no huge queues for meals.

I have also trekked a few times in February which is colder, but as long as you are well prepared with good kit then it isn’t a bad time to trek in Nepal

2) TIMS and ACAP – TIMS is $20 if you don’t take trekking staff and $10 if you do, ACAP is 2000NPR (Around $25)They can be purchased at NTB in Kathmandu or Pokhara

3) You can camp at one of the lodges at ABC but there is little point as you have to pay a fee for your tent, so as accommodation in the lodges is cheap it isn’t worth all the hassles of lugging a tent and all the associated equipment with you

4) The Kanti Path – 06.30 reporting time, 0700 departures

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Jakarta, Indonesia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

halo Paak.. i m plaining to do annapurna base camp, and i m considering at the early of march. i have time for 16-20 days. i will travel alone, perhaps we can go together. i m male 29th from indonesia. i have experience for hike mountains, but not for snowy field. and this will be my first experience to nepal.

send me e-mail if you are interest

10. Re: ABC info. for solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Annapurna Region