We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Access on EBC trek

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Access on EBC trek

There are internet spots in Namche Bazaar, but anything available further along the way to EBC?

Mentioned in this post
Namche Bazaar
Namche Bazaar
93 Reviews
Namche Bazaar, Nepal
1. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 13:08
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

how about 3g/gprs coverage along the the trail?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

Mobile phones lines are available on EBC routes. But it'll be very expensive. I suggest you to buy a nepali sim card, ncell or namaste to use their internet services and mobile lines. It'll be cheaper than use the ones of your own country

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

Yeah the main idea was to buy a local sim card and use the mobile internet service if it is available. But if I understand correctly, both ncell and namaste has coverage along the trail, as well as have a working mobile internet service.

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

.....uhhh - just enjoy your vacation. the web will be available at home when you return, and will not miss you.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 19:56
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
29 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

Just got back from an EBC trek and was able to have good success with and NCell sim in my US iphone - about 2cents a minute to call back to the US and reasonable fees for data - although if you know you are going to be doing any major data I would wait for a wifi (albiet slow) connection.

I had decent 3g reception almost the whole way - exception being periche, and Gorak - but others in Gorak were doing fine - so not sure of my connection issues. Certain areas along the trails were spotty but most overnight areas have decent connection.

You need a photo to get a nepali sim card and if you bring an iphone be prepared to cut it down as they don't sell the mini-sims that the iphone requires - then you can load up as much/little credits and be able to recharge from vendors almost the whole way up and back from ebc.

Easy to check remaining balances and recharge

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

Best reception up there over May-June was on Nepal Telecom it seems - my Ncell was mostly on E network or no data at all until Namche, Dingboche and then Gorak Shep funnily enough.

Gorak Shep had the best reception of the whole trip - our lodge was under the mobile phone tower!

Mentioned in this post
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

Well said NWPhil !

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
486 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

This is an old post, but it is still applicable. Irks me. Some people have family that are very worried for them and Wifi is needed to touch base with them to let them know we are ok - especially if a solo traveler like myself. It's not like I am trying to watch a TV show online or check the latest internet sales. We live in a day and age where we can offer our loved ones peace of mind a bit quicker than decades before and I will give my worried parents that POM, if able. Some have friends and family very excited for us that will never travel and live vicariously through our adventures....and are anxiously awaiting to hear if their friend accomplished his or her lofty goals of the trek to 18,000 ft. That is HUGE! Overall, I appreciate these TA forums, but I get aggravated when people ask a simple question on these forums and then are tried to made to feel stupid or frivolous for asking a question. That's it. I'm done.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet Access on EBC trek

I agree with emis 100.

Edited: 04 September 2014, 05:38
Get answers to your questions about Sagarmatha National...
More Sagarmatha National Park Topics