We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trincomalee

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trincomalee

Hello people. I am going to SL in July August and want to spend 4 or 5 days at the beach around mid-August. Trinco will be the best place for me to go (I'll be in the Habarana area just before) but I cannot find any bungalows or houses in the area to rent. It is these sort of places that I have organised elsewhere - the best for a travelling family of 6. Are they there or is their absence a result of the war? I cannot find, either, any hotels with consistent good reports. Is the shore there good, or has it been wrecked?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trincomalee

Hi there,

The shore/beach is quite good, but simply underdeveloped due to the war. Nilaveli beach hotel is the best consistently reviewed current hotel, Chaaya Blue (5 star) _should_ open in May but believe it when we see it. The absence of bungalows/villas is probably due to the same immature level of tourism development...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trincomalee

Hi Erik - thanks for that. It's a shame - I went to Trinco when I was 10 (1975) and stayed in a beach house literally on the beach with my family. It was idyllic. My alternative plan is to travel back from Habarana to Tangalle where I do have somewhere to stay - a long hack, but not sure what else to do.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trincomalee

Nilaveli Beach Hotel was impressive when we stayed there a few weeks ago and is definitely the best accommodation option in the area ... although unless you are happy just to stare at the sea and sand, there is little to occupy the visitor for long in this area. It involves a long and pretty tedious journey to reach Trincomalee in the first instance, with the road still very poor as you approach Trinco, although the road north to Nilaveli is being improved at the moment. Nilaveli is often referred to as being Sri Lanka's finest beach, but for us, it didn't come close to those on the south coast with all their tropical palm trees and rocky coves.

Trinco itself is a curious place. We quite liked it actually, especially the sight of tame deer wandering around the busy streets alongside the people and traffic. The Koneswaram Kovil at the top of Swami Rock is well worth a visit too, but having seen the area, it would not be the area I'd rush back to in preference to most of Sri Lanka where there is far more to see and do.

Sue

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trincomalee

Hi,

Most of the infrastructure on the east coast was washed away by the tsunami in 2004. I saw the results in Passekudah in December.

With the lack of tourists due to the war nobody seemed to be interested in investing on the east coast, however plans are under way for luxury hotels, guesthouses and possibly also beach bungalows, but IMO it will take another 2-5 years.

Hans

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trincomalee

You might have more luck at Arugan Bay rather than heading all the way to Tangalle as an alternative to Trinco, It's the season for the east coast and Tangalle seas will be quite treacherous at that time.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trincomalee

The OP was heading to Tangalle because he had somewhere in mind to stay there. I have stayed at Tangalle in mid August and would recommend it. There are a number of different bays in the area, and whilst the sea at some of them would be too rough for general bathing, there is one in particular, near the fishing harbour and Resthouse, where it is perfectly calm. There's an offshore reef which breaks the waves, leaving a lovely sheltered little beach well known and used by local families.

Tangalle is a nice little town with plenty to see and do in the surrounding area. I think it is the best south coast base overall, bearing in mind the variety of excursions available, the pleasantly lively town and the choice of accommodation and beaches. Even Yala can be comfortably done in a day trip from here, as well as the fascinating Mulkirigala rock temple locally, which is an excellent (and in my opinion, better) alternative to the more popularly visited Dambulla in the north.

Sue

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trincomalee

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. Still haven't made up my mind between Arugam and Tangalle, although likely to be the latter, given slightly prefereable accomodation there - Sethsiri Bungalow, if anyone has anything to sya about that place (as opposed to the Danish Villa at Arugam)?

Antarctica
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trincomalee

Also consider Passikudah (north of Batticaloa) on the east coast for a visit. This is the best beach for general bathing that i know in Sri Lanka. But again the infrastructure is poorer than both Nilaveli and Arugam Bay. ALso note that Arugam Bay is more for surfing and not too great for swimming or bathing as such though admittedly it's great fun being jostled about by waves.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trincomalee

I visited Passekudah in end of December.

The whole area was flattened by the 2004 tsunami and only 2 houses have been rebuilt (a beer shop and a motorbike shop).

The beach was extremely dirty. Only infrastructure on the beach is a police post, a well and a shielded changing area for women.

Hans

Antarctica
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trincomalee

Hans,

Yep, as i said there is no infrastructure to talk about in passikudah but when i visited there about 2 weeks ago there wasn't much rubbish on the beach, specially in the farther end of the bay from the car park. There was quite a lot of rubbish in the car park itself and I was told the rubbish increases in weekends. The water itself was very clear and clean and again this is the beach are you are able to walk the longest distance into the sea from the shore. The absence of currents (atleast i experienced none), sandy bottom in most of the areas, extremely low gradient (no shelving off at all) and the lack of any waves makes this the one of the best spots for swimming in SL. But as far as looks go this isn't the best as the beach is rather narrow and also it's not palm fringed to the edge.