We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

Which Trincomalee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

Hi, 4 friends and i are thinking of visiting Trinco/nilaveli around 2nd september. The main reason we picke this is that a couple of us are keen on whale watching, and all of us on some scuba diving. I'm finding conflicting reports on the net, though.

Also, can't see much budget acco on the net. Are there any guesthouses that you can just book after you get there?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,089 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

Hi there,

Whale watching really depends on the whales themselves ;-) and their trek has been less predictable than Southwest and Kalpitiya uptilnow. In 2011 the boats were succesful until early Sept, in 2012 had to give up early August, and no reports yet from TA members for this year.

Diving is okay for sure on most days until early Oct. See www.divesrilanka.com for a good guide to all areas.

There are some budget guesthouses in e.g. Nilaveli but Sept is still peak season, so the chance of finding one with an empty room is not that big - do prebook, even if needed by phone after arriving in Lanka.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

Thanks Erik, but i haven't found any guesthouses online. Is there a listing somewhere? Also the prices...

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

E.g. this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g424963-Trincomalee…

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

Agoda too has a few budget options.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

I will also be in Trinco on 2nd and 3rd September. Myself and my friend are staying in Coral Bay. PM me if you would like to join us for the trip.

6. Re: Trinco in September - whale watching, scuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21