We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

Which Munising hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fifield, Wisconsin
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

We recently had a four day weekend in this area, and I have to say that I had this nagging feeling that these locals really would rather not have "outsiders" in their town. Perhaps it had something to do with our timing (mid-October) but Munising MI and the surrounding area is one of the strangest areas I have visited in many years. It has a very "Children of the Corn" feeling or, possibly, "Deliverance". Of all the locals we encountered, only one (checkout lady at the grocery store) was friendly at all. There was an overwhelmingly unwelcoming feeling to the entire area - from the lodgings, to the restaurants, the hardware store, the gift shops, right on down to the gas station. The restaurant scene was deplorable - none of the buffets advertised various places were even offered anymore, although there seemed to be plenty of tourists still about. Prices were exceedingly high for the wonderful SYSCO-quality food they served. Wait staff all needed a course in customer service. If I were to open a restaurant in this area I would hire people from another area and pay for their relocation - that's just how odd and unpersonable these people are. Not in the least friendly and apparently "Thank You" is a phrase from a foreign language to these people. Certainly not anxious to ever return. It really is a shame too, as this is a gorgeous area and this town could be SOOOO much more than it is!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

Interesting, I wonder if there are others that feel the same....

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

Chris, maybe your charming personality left them speechless.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

I've never encountered rudeness in that area.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

I am sorry you met with unfriendly people.

I laughed at your "Children of the Corn" reference, however. Are you an outlander? J/K!

Wench, you made me laugh again!

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

I hope is wasn't "Deliverance-esque" as we all know what happened to Ned Beatty in that film. Yikes!

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

First post ever...hmmmmm?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

Chris--it is hard to evaluate your comments since you have no other posts for context. Where have you gone that you liked and felt welcome?

I'd be the first to agree that it is tough to find a good meal in Munising, though it is better than in the past. I've never encountered unfriendly people at any of the tourist spots around town.

I sure wouldn't like to be from the area where Deliverance was filmed--can you imagine the comments from visitors on their TA forum! ;o)

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,737 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

another 1 post wonder....i'll be shocked if we see another post from him...

don't like outsiders? hogwash. just go there during the winter....the place caters to the snowmobiling community, which turns the area into a madhouse... and i can guarantee most of the sledders riding around the munising area are "outsiders"....

BUT, i would have to agree, while i'd hate to see munising get over developed and overrun with tourists like areas of wisc and the lower p, i think the powers-that-be in the town have missed an opportunity to make it a great destination town.... the town does have somewhat of a rundown feel to it, and why the heck would they build a high school right on the waterfront?? even a local agreed, and told me it would also be nice to get rid of the old pulp mill on the waterfront and put something nice there..... the surrounding landscape is beautiful....it would be nice to somehow beautify the town so it blends better with it's surroundings........

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

I have to agree with you on this whole post. They are very unfriendly in that area

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,737 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munising - Children of the Corn-esque?

another 1 post wonder..................

Get answers to your questions about Munising