We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

Which Vis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

Hello,

I was wondering if

1) is there a website with the public bus schedules on Vis (mainly searching for a Komiza - Vis harbour connection)

2) I suppose bike hire shouldn´t be a problem, even in October?

3) was somewhat worried about a review of the island saying that "restaurants are extremely pricey" - what price level could we expect at less ambitious restaurants in terms of plain "tourist menus" etc. ?

Thank you for your kind attention & patience.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 07:50
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

1. Here is the timetable for busses on Vis: www.tz-vis.hr/Default.aspx?sifraStranica=335

But this is schedule up to 30.09. They didn't decided for schedule after this date probably. General rule is: Bus waits for Ferry from Split. For reverse journey you will find schedule on Bus stations.

2. It is difficult to say. Here is a link: www.tz-vis.hr/Default.aspx?sifraStranica=160

Maybe you can sent a mail to Ionos and ask if they still working in October.

3. Restaurants on Vis are pricey. Look this under the circumstances that the many of guests in restaurants comes from yachts. There is no tourist in transit.

Vis is my favourit place on the Adriatic sea. In my oppinion it is better to stay in Vis town than in Komiza - more activities, more to see, more to walk around.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

Restaurant prices are a bit higher than on the mainland (Dubrovnik excepted) but shouldn't break the bank if you stay away from the most expensive fish. I prefer Komiza. Better beaches, good sunsets, closer to the Blue Cave. It has the atmosphere of a fishing village which Vis Town lacks. In October last year, partly because it is smaller, Komiza was still lively enough. Vis Town had a postseason feel and one of the beaches was rubbish-strewn.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

If you a beach fun and like atmosphere of a small fishing village stay in Komiza. If you prefer long walking, cycling, exploring around ... stay in Vis.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

Tthank you for the very quick and informative answers. Haven't decided about Komiza or Vis, it seems that Komiza has better sunsets and cleaning of beaches off season, whereas Vis a little more cultural sights and better booking.com coverage. Bus frequency would be of importance. Are tourist menus of say 20-30 euros unrealistic? Its been many years since I was in the region ...

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

It is not problem to find a meal for up to 30 euros in most of restaurants, expect a top sort of fish

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

Thank you

- and the tz-vis-link given above is very useful!

Croatia
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

Must do's on Vis :)

1. Anything "under the bell" (peka) at Roki's http://www.rokis.hr/en/index.php?pg=k

2. Blue cave on Bisevo island

tz-komiza.hr/en/sites-to-see/caves/blue-cave/

3. Stiniva beach http://www.tz-komiza.hr/en/beaches/stiniva/t

And you must try Viska pogaca and Komiska pogaca (flat bread)

8. Re: Vis - buses, bike hire, budget eating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Vis
Recent Conversations