We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

I am seeking a different kind of "Michigan Adventure"... Is there a place within a reasonable distance (about an hour drive) from Muskegon, where one can find a trail for an overnight hike? Especially interested in a loop trail and primitive camps sites. Please advise.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

Might be a little more than an hour drive but Nordhouse Dunes is one of my favorites. It's designated wilderness area with dispersed camping.

A little further, maybe 2 hours from Muskegon, is the Manistee River Trail. Makes a nice overnight "loop" combined with the NCT.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

Thanks DetTigerFan.. I'll check into those

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

Hey DetTigerFan,

I can't seem to find a trail map of the hike you are refering to... little help?

Thanks!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

Nordhouse dunes are in the Manistee National Forest. I used the USGS "Hamlin Lake" quad topo map. This website has the best trail descriptions that I've found:

www.getoffthecouch.info/mason/nordunes.htm

This is a good site for the Manistee River Trail with a basic map and a link to where you can order a more detailed one:

michigantrailmaps.com/Manistee/ManisteeRiver…

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

Perfect thanks! Which trailheads do you use for each?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

For Nordhouse dunes, I've parked by the beach near the developed campground ("Lake Michigan") as well as the parking lot down Green Road.

For the MRT, it depends on whether I'm going an out-and-back or the whole NCT-MRT loop. The loop is a nice two-day hike and I usually start at the Red Bridge. There's a parking lot right at the NCT trailhead just past the bridge, on the NCT side. I do the NCT side first, cross the foot bridge and then camp in one of the MRT campsites.

7. Re: Overnight hike/ backpacking trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Muskegon
Recent Conversations