We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday in Muskegon

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
37 reviews
Friday in Muskegon

We're spending Friday night in Muskegon before flying out of Grand Rapids Saturday Morning. DW has a meeting most of the day Friday so I'll be in town with the kids, anything interesting to do? Any kids museums, fun arcades, unique attractions, etc? We'll get in town around noon and have about five hours to kill, then we'll be looking for a decent restaurant...looking for something casual and unique...no chains...any Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives type places? Staying at the Fairfield then leaving first thing in the morning to catch our flight at GRR. I'm thinking about an hour drive time from hotel to airport, that about right?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Friday in Muskegon

Yes, plan an hour to the grr airport but no less. that is just straight drive time. My top picks for you would be www.muskegonmuseum.org which is free and your kids will love it. Then go to The Lakes Mall across the street from your hotel for bungee jumping, shopping and food court. Another option is the free www.tri-citiesmuseum.org that is two buildings close by in dt Grand Haven. Then Craigs Cruisers for go carts and arcade just to the south of your hotel. Beach drive is a fantastic close drive to Lake Michigan. Dogsn suds is the classic drive up (no dine in i dont believe) but manager has awful reviews. Www.visitmuskegon.org and www.muskegon.org will both give you tons more info and options. Muskegon is a fantastic town full of history. Sadly downtown is now spread so thin but it is a work in progress and a beauty regardless. Enjoy your short stay in Muskegon.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Friday in Muskegon

Thanks Francis! Those are some great ideas, I'm sure we'll have no problem filling an afternoon!

Anyone else have restaurant recommendations?

Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Friday in Muskegon

A few "DDD" type places to eat in Muskegon: Fatty Lumpkins, Coastline Deli, Herbie's café, and the two downtown breweries which do attract families with pizza offerings.

Unfortunately these all close early except for the breweries. : (

Perhaps Mr. B's on Apple ave. which does stay open until 3:00 would do the trick.

If pizza is your thing, Fricano's near Muskegon Lake is said to be the best but they don't open until 5:00.

The Museum is a very nice visit with some good hands-on exhibits.

Since Fridays weather isn't going to be great, inside activities will be in order. : )

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Friday in Muskegon

Awesome, thanks Greg. I think we'll get into town in time for lunch at Fatty's or Coastline (both look great) then send mom off to her meeting. I have a haircut booked for my little guy at the mall and afterwards we'll be able to pick up a few last minute items for the vacation. From there we'll either check out the museum or maybe catch a movie. We've got a crazy busy week lined up starting Saturday, so a chill Friday probably isn't a terrible idea.

Any reccos for dinner close to Fairfield? Have a bunch of dinner reservations coming up, so something casual and easy.

Thanks again!

Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Friday in Muskegon

"Any reccos for dinner close to Fairfield? "

When we are in the neighborhood, it's G&L hotdogs for us. : )

6. Re: Friday in Muskegon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2016, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Muskegon
Recent Conversations