We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any info about st joseph michigan plz

Which New Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any info about st joseph michigan plz

Hey!!

Can anyone tell me anything about St Joseph Michigan??

Things to do, beaches/lakes, attractions....anything plz.

Thanx

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

geez i'm no expert on St Joes but since no one seems to be replying to your post i can tell you what i do know...i've stayed right off the xway at a courtyard which was pleasant enough during the springtime to view the local blossoms (they have a festival but i'm not big on that type of crowded event) . We took a rather frightening drive thru the adjoining town of benton harbor (which i thought was just going to be a peaceful drive to see the lake but turned out to be a trip through a really bad neighborhood). I quickly learned to stay in St. Joes. They had a nice beach but i recall inconvient parking. There was a holiday inn in town that was across the street from the lake...and the drive along the lake was pleasant. I ate a lakeside restaurant that resembled a jail (can't remember the name) & the food was quite unremarkable.

All in all i've never been back so guess i don't recommend it!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
401 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

I've spent many fun weekends in St. Joseph. My folks had a boat in a local marina up until about 2 yrs ago. The town itself is rather nice with cute shops and neat little restaurants. The beach (Silver Beach?) is a great one. Two fun playgrounds for the kids, volleyball nets, covered picnic tables, clean bathrooms. Very nice Children's Museum in town if you find yourself there on a rainy day. Walking out to the lighthouse is brisk, but beautiful. You can sit there and watch the large boats and yachts go in and out of the river. I would agree to drive up and down the shoreline. Go up to South Haven or even Saugatuck. Also very cute towns. Saugatuck is an artists' communtity with very interesting shops.

I would also agree to stay on the St. Joseph side of the bridge. Benton Harbor is not a place in which you want to find yourself!

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

Thanx 4 your help

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

Curious Kids is a nice museum. Tosi's south of town is excellent, don't recall any nice shops, downtown is dead. St. Joe is probably the most untourist of the lakeside towns. Holiday Inn I believe has vacated both of their locations in town. BTW Benton Harbor does have some very nice areas. There is a restaurant downtown, BH I think called Ideal Cafe or something like that ,, not bad.

Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

I love St. Joes - I was just up there last weekend and the place was packed. I enjoy the small shops downtown along State Street, and I think Silver Beach is great. There's also a free public beach just a little south of Silver Beach called Lions Beach, but the beach itself isn't that great this year - lots of erosion over the winter. There's a new artist's colony in a building called The Box Factory not far from downtown St. Joes - on Broad Street, I believe. For casual dining, I like Schu's - you can sit outside and watch the beach from the bluff.

There are areas in Benton Harbor that are scary, others that are absolutely fine. The best way, unless you know the area, to get between the mall area in Benton Harbor and downtown St. Joe is to just hop back on the expressway and avoid rundown areas. If you ask at your hotel, they can route you around the less desirable places.

If you're going to have a car, taking a trip south down the Red Arrow Highway (Main Street in St. Joe) is fun. Between St. Joe and New Buffalo there are small towns with antique stores, wine tasting places, beaches, restaurants with good home style cooking, gift shops, artists studios, bakeries, fruit stands, ice cream shops - kind of a combination of small town meets tourist.

Vernon, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

I have spent all the summers of my life in and around St. Joseph and South Haven. My father grew up in the area and we still have a cottage outside of town. In St. Joe the downtown area is nice for a day of shopping, and the beach is great. It is a very nice place for a weekend getaway. If you have younger children and the weather isn't great then go to the Curious Kids Museum, well worth the price of a few dollars. Silver beach is nice and clean. Sunsets by the lighthouse are a must. If you are looking for a nice place to eat you should try Shu's in St. Joes or Clementine's in Benton Harbor. Clementine's II is in Benton Harbor but not the bad part. If you don't mind a little drive you should drive up Blue Star Highway (US33) and go to South Haven, the original Clementine's is there. It is a much nicer building and the town is on the lake and has a nice lighthouse for the sunsets as well. The town is wonderful and the food is great. For desert I reccomend Sherman's Ice Cream right outside South Haven, it has the biggest scoops you have seen and for a small price. South Haven is only about 30 minutes north of St. Joe. (if you want to get there quicker then take the expressway Interstate196 - Phoenix rd exit). Throughout the year the sunsets are breathtaking over the lake. I strongly reccomend the trip to you!!!!!!!! However, check out some of the reviews on here before selecting your hotel. I don't have much info on where to stay.

7. Re: Any info about st joseph michigan plz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about New Buffalo