We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

Which Petoskey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

Our family with 2 boys 11 and 13 are driving from the Chicago burbs to Petoskey in mid August. Can you recommend any worthwhile cute towns/stops along the way to stop and grab a bite to eat?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

You'll have two routes. The quickest is to take I 94 to I-196 to US131 in Grand Rapids, US 131 ends in Petoskey. The other route is to take I-94 to I-196 and in Holland take US 31 up along the coast. All the towns along the coast are worth a look see. It all depends on how long you want to take. New Buffalo is an hour out of the city, St. Joe, 1.5, South Haven 2 hours. Holland 2.5 to 3 hours. From Holland its about 4.5 hours to Petoskey along the lake (US31) and about 3.5 hours if you connect with US 131 in Grand Rapids. There's nothing interesting taking the US 131 route but you'll get there faster. Let us know when you'll be leaving and which way interests you and I bet we can give you some ideas.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

I agree with Rono. You can almost throw a dart at the map and we'll be able to give you some great suggestions... from watching the fish at the fishladder in Grand Rapids to some great Children's Museums.

Just let us know the exact direction you're thinking of heading, and we'll hook you up!

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

Greetings. I am not the original poster but would love suggestions for traveling up the coast in a RV final destination Mackinac Island if we have enough time. Leaving Chgo Fri pm till tuesday. Kids are 5 & 8 and 1. I'm worried about places to park RV day tripping and overnight along with finding interesting destinations. Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

I don't know the RV parks on the way up. But there are several in Mackinaw City and if you wish to leave the RV at the park, Sheplers Mackinac Island ferry will send their shuttle to pick you up at the park.

The closest park to the down town is TeePee Campground. It is along the shore about 1 mile from downtown and about 2/3 mile from the first of the shops & restaurants. But you can find easy parking for your RV within 2-5 blocks of the heart of town.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

Thanks for the post. Looks like our best choice might be to drive through. Sleep in the walmart lot if we have to.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

I learned this a few years ago, I don't have an Rv but Walmart lets you park in their parking lot over night.

Some might take what betyc said the wrong way. Walmart is an ok option.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

If you want to stop in the South Haven area there are at least two. One is Jensen's and the other is new and very nice. It's about two miles east at exit 20. It has a small man made lake. Just happens there's a walmart at that exit.

8. Re: Any places to stop on the way to Petoskey from Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 05:16