We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Water Bridge into Canada

connecticut
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Water Bridge into Canada

I am planning a solo road trip from Flint, MI to Connecticut. I plan on crossing the Blue Water Bridge into Canada and onto Connecticut from there.

I've never crossed into Canada before from the U.S.

What is it like crossing the border as far as what do the border patrol agents do? Questions they may ask (if any).

When is the best time of year to make this trip in order to avoid traffic, tourism, delays at the border crossing and all that sort of thing.

Any advice you have to offer is appreciated.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Water Bridge into Canada

You will drive up to the booth, hand the inspector your passport and he/she will enter your vehicle's license number into a computer. When entering Canada, the agent will ask the purpose of your visit, how long you intend to stay and what you are bringing into the country.

When you reach the US crossing in Niagara, Buffalo, Ogdensburg or wherever you plan to cross back, the process is similar. The agent will ask how long you have been in Canada and what you're bringing into the US.

On either side, you may be asked to open your trunk or they may flag you for secondary inspection, it may be due to something you're carrying or it may be a random check. Be especially aware that radar detectors and firearms are prohibited in Ontario. If you're planning to camp, check regulations on transporting fresh foods or firewood (to prevent spread of diseases and insects).

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Water Bridge into Canada

Just to add a few details. When you arrive at the border check point, you will stop your car behind a line while the inspector talks to the car ahead of you. When that car clears, you will move your car forward to the inspection booth. We normally turn off the radio etc so we can easily hear the border inspector. Our policy is that the driver answers all questions, unless the officer directs a question to others in the car. In addition to the questions noted above, you may be asked what country you are citizens of. You will likely be asked if you are bringing in any alcohol or cigarettes(which may be taxed) and may be asked if you intend to leave anything in Canada.

On return to the US, it is a good idea to have all receipts of purchases that you are bringing back into the US gathered together and the grand total of those receipts totaled so you know exactly what the value of goods you are bringing back into the US as you will likely be asked that question.

My advice...relax!! It's not a big deal if you don't have anything to hide. Some border officers have a sense of humor.. once my husband was asked what date our wedding anniversary is...just to see whether he knew it (We'd been married 35 years and he passed the test.) However don't joke around. A n aquaintance of ours, when asked his occupation said "bird seed salesman for cuckoo clocks" and was detained for secondary questions for almost 4 hours!!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Water Bridge into Canada

Hey vanclan, that is pretty funny....except for the 4 hr stint of questions!!

I wanted to tell you I answered your query about Munising!

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Water Bridge into Canada

Quite frankly you will probably face more scrutiny returning to the US than you will crossing into Canada.

But really it's not a big deal if you have your passport and not carrying anything in your vehicle that you shouldn't.

5. Re: Blue Water Bridge into Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2016, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Huron