We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Joseph vs. South Haven

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
St. Joseph vs. South Haven

My husband and 4 year old son are planning a trip to Michigan for a long weekend and are trying to decide between St. Joseph and South Haven. We're looking for a great beach and cute town for shops/restaurants.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

Well. . . .You can't go wrong with either place. St Joe would be fun for your 4 yr old because of the fun public art in the downtown area. This summer it is about 25+ or so different circus/zoo animals -- each painted up in a fun way. Kids can sit on them or get photos with them etc. Also fun is the Curious Kids Museum right on the bluff in the downtown area. Lots of good ice cream places to try too. On Silver Beach just down the hill is a great playground area right on the beach. If you are planning to come after Labor Day maybe the new interactive fountain and carousel will be working. These will be fantstic when they finally get finished. Seems like it has been a slow process to get them done tho! The "Chalk the Block " weekend is very fun around here. Artists do amazing chalk drawings on the street that runs along the Bluff overlooking the lake. I think maybe that is the weekend of Aug 8-9 -- but will have to check for sure.

Both towns have good beaches and ice cream and lighthouse piers to walk on, good restaurants cute shops. Both even have a Chocolate Cafe ( the South Bend Chocolate Co) Both would also have loads of places to either pick your own -- or just go and buy amazing fresh fruit. Blueberries, raspberries, peaches -- YUM!

Go to www.sjtoday.org for more info on St Joseph.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

Thanks so much for the info! I think my son would love seeing the artwork in St. Joe! We're looking forward to the blueberries, ice cream, chocolate, etc.! I was leaning towards St. Joe but now am trying to decide whether it would be better to try the Silver Beach Hotel to be near everything but worried from some of the reviews or to stay at a chain. I'd really rather stay someplace quaint near the action but we are looking at just a long weekend July 25-27 so that limits our possibilties and the B&B's look to be more for couples.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

The Silver Beach Hotel would not win any prizes, but a recent personal review from a friend was that it was okay. It certainly get points for being right downtown near everything!

Another good choice is the Holiday inn Express. It has a lake view -- tho no access to a beach from there. Right next door is a good Mexican restaurant that has a great outdoor patio that is perfect for sunset viewing!

Hope you have a great time! At least you are not coming on one of the busy festival weekends!!!

michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

We just stayed at the holday inn and it was great, a 2 minute drive to downtown our room was great 203 large plus they have a indoor pool if you have a not so nice beach day, We didn't seem to have any problem parking and it was July 4th weekend..You would have to pay $8.00 each day to get into the beach but it was a great beach(silver beach) so if you stayed at the other resort you could walk..

the outside didn't look that great but didn't see the inside..

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

We tried to get into the Holiday Inn but they are booked. We're going to cross our fingers and try the Silver Beach Hotel. At least the price is good and my expectations aren't too high. I think we'll like being able to walk to everything.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

Hope you have a great time in St Joe!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

Oh, one more thing, well maybe 3. I just ate at Port 412 the other day for lunch -- they have a back deck that overlooks the lake. Try their crab cakes -- they are amazing -- the crab bisque soup, wraps and burgers are good too.

Cabana's has the best ice cream and homemade waffle cones.

The best pizza is at the train station -- Silver Beach Pizza at the bottom of the steps on your way to the beach. Ask to sit outside.

Southern Indiana
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

How was the Silver Beach Hotel? We are planning a trip as well and the reviews make me very nervous about staying here!! :)

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

Well...think very budget hotel. The carpet in our room was ripped and the bathroom is very small and old. The whole place smelled like they had put too much carpet deoderizer everywhere. The line for the breakfast was so long that we ended up not eating there. The pool was nice though and the convenience of being right downtown made it worth it. As long as you don't expect too much it's okay. I wouldn't want to stay there for a week but a couple of nights was okay. The staff was very friendly. I walked into The Boulevard hotel and looked at one of the rooms and it looked nicer but they don't have a pool. They have a nice looking restaurant with lake views and you can eat your breakfast outside. We had a terrific time in St. Joseph and the beach was amazing.

10. Re: St. Joseph vs. South Haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint Joseph
More Saint Joseph Topics