We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

Which Saint Joseph hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

We are considering visiting St John in the near future. (I've been wanting to for years but kids put a halt to that ).Anyway, I've seen some videos on YOUTUBE and some of the areas looked kind of run down and kind of "shady " Is it safe enough to walk or drive around with my family ??

Edited: 28 August 2010, 21:24
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

You will need to repost this on the St John's USVI forum -- this is the St Joseph, MICHIGAN forum.

With that being said -- I have been to St John's USVI -- driven at least some of the island and thought it was fine. Nicer than some carribbean places, less crowded, gorgeous beaches, some very rural areas. Lots of families. You could always stay on St Thomas and take the ferry over for just the day.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

St. John's is a lovely island. There is an underwater national park located on the island. It is higher end and safer than St. Thomas and St. Croix. There has been some pretty severe violence over the past several months on St. Thomas including the death of a teen girl who was touring the island will on a cruise...random gunfire from drug dealers was to blame. I understand that additional police offers are on duty in St. Thomas at this time. That being said, there does not appear to be any unusual violence or crime on St. John....a truly beautiful island! Moms

Maine
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

My family and I have been to St. John 3 times. We are from Maine - and have never felt unsafe. It is quite clean and family-friendly. Common sense is the only precaution to take. The only crime on island is rare petty theft.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

Sadly, I have never been to St. John's.

Somewhat fortunately, I have been to St. John's in MI umpteen times..usually for the Uncle John's Apple Farm....lol.

5. Re: Is St John ( USVI ) safe ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 07:30
Get answers to your questions about Saint Joseph
More Saint Joseph Topics