We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another "special" Michigan town?

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Another "special" Michigan town?

Good Morning. So glad there is this forum, don't know how I'd plan our vacation without it, thank you everyone!

Will be staying in Saugatuck for four nights in July (plans changed from September, I'm so happy about that!).

***Wish to stay at another interesting small town about 100 miles drive (n.s.e.w.) from Saugatuck for another four nights. Must be child friendly. What wonderful suggestions have you got?***

Would welcome all advice. Thank you, Holly

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

I would reccomend driving up the coast to the Traverse City area. It's kid-friendly, wondeful restaurants, good shopping, excellant beachfront. Check it out on the web!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

I agree with Lungfruit, or maybe Charlevoix/ Petoskey area. TC is a bit to big for me, but that's just my opinion.

Holland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

Have you been to Grand Haven? It's very cute, and north of that is Whitehall. No matter where you go, beaches are the key. Grand Haven has awesome beaches and a downtown on the water. St. Joseph has also been rated as having great beaches, but I've not taken the time to head down there as we have our own beaches close by.

Holland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

Have you been to Grand Haven? It's very cute, and north of that is Whitehall. No matter where you go, beaches are the key. Grand Haven has awesome beaches and a downtown on the water. St. Joseph has also been rated as having great beaches, but I've not taken the time to head down there as we have our own beaches close by.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

Rono,

Petoskey is a nice area as well. I'm partial to TC because of their state park, coffee shops, and that pasty shop (which I can't remember the name of)

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

I'm very very pleased at how quickly the responses are coming in! Thank you all.

However, some of your excellent suggestions are much further to drive than 100 miles (I'm thinking of the toddlers).

Grand Haven sounds fun. I'll look more into that town.

Keeping the distance much shorter, what other fun places would you recommend?

Looking forward to your answers. Holly

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

Grand Haven is a great suggestion however it is only a 20 minute drive from Saugatuck and could easily be visited on your 4-day stay there. I would recommend going a little further north as the others suggested. If Petosky & Traverse City are too far of a drive (may want to reconsider because they are both absolutely fabulous towns that would be highly enjoyed by your family), then I would suggest looking into Ludington. Again there are some great streches of beach along Lake Michigan.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

Ludington and Grand Haven are good suggestions. I think though that you & your family would have plenty to do in the Saugatuck/Douglas/Holland/South Haven area. There is alot to see and do in 4 days. In July the beaches will be perfect so that in itself will take up 3 days :)

When you get back from our trip give us a trip report here!

9. Re: Another "special" Michigan town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations