We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Sunday, July 22nd

By 5:15 a.m., Toots was on the road headed home. We spent the morning cleaning and packing up. My breakfast was coffee and peanut butter cup fudge. Mmmm. By early afternoon, Teresa and I were back in Chicago and Karen was headed home. We ended up spending the night in Woodridge with her older daughter, Meghan.

We strolled the river walk in downtown Naperville along the Fox River. Downtown was bustling and picturesque, with lots of people out enjoying a fine Sunday afternoon. We came across the Millennium Carillon, then made it a point to wait 'til after 7 to leave the downtown area but apparently you have to be closer than we were to hear the music. After our walk, we had a drink at Bar Louie. Eventually we headed to the Blu Coral, a newly opened and very chicly decorated sushi restaurant. We sat out on the patio and were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable prices on the menu. Our sushi selections (OK, T and M ordered everything) included yellowtail, spicy tuna, rainbow sushi, California roll and a gorgeous seaweed salad. Everything was incredibly good; in fact, it was my best meal of the trip! T had a Sapporo and I had a glass of wine and our bill was $52. Amazing.

Back at Meghan's, I popped open a bottle of Fennville's Lakeshore Red and when the bottle was gone, it was time to sleep. The next morning, T made a coffee run to Dunkin' Donuts. On our way out, we stopped for more and oh, it was free donut Monday. I'd been talking with T about the DD chocolate angel donut, my favorite. I hadn't had one in maybe 30 years. T brings the coffee and free donuts out to the car. I saved my chocolate angel for the airport. It was as good as I remember. I'll skip the return trip details but in conclusion, this was one of the best vacations I've ever been on and I've been on quite a few.

Trip highlights:

- So much laughter and silliness. Special thanks to Hank, the inspiration of our vacation poem

- The walk on Oval Beach

- Lots of good wine and conversation with great friends

- Relaxing with old friends but not taking too many trips down memory lane because we have so many other things to talk about

- Our visit to the farmer's market and all the good things we bought, especially the fudge

- The first morning's rambling walk from Douglas around the riverfront through Saugatuck and back to Douglas

- Browsing in Artes de Mexico and the nice chat I had with the owner

- Seeing the Milky Way and animals I haven't seen in a while: swans, geese, chipmunks and black squirrels

- Finally having apple pie with cheddar cheese

- The summer veggie wrap sandwich at Mermaids

- Not watching TV for six days

- The climb up to the top of Mt. Baldhead

- The sushi at Blu Coral

Saugatuck Dune Rides
Off-Road & ATV Trails
Butler Street
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saugatuck Dunes State Park
Beaches, State Parks, Cross-country Ski Areas
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

MeTalkPretty, what a wonderful trip report, I felt I was there, actually I probably was. No I'm not Hank. It really sounds like you absorbed what the area had to offer,, except no beach? Happy birthday by the way and glad you all had a good time. Come back again.

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Thanks for your comments and good wishes, Rono! No, you're not Hank. :-) We did walk Oval Beach for a couple of hours but never plopped down and sat on the beach. Oh, and for the record, I'm the youngest of the group and the only one who has not yet reached 5-0 (next month will be a different story!).

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

OK we need to here a report on your birthday next month :) Shall we read the Florida papers?

noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
617 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Great travelogue! Can I assume from your screen name that you're a David Sedaris fan? If not, you should be. Thanks for the lively view of you trip.

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

I can report on my birthday but I'm afraid it will be rather sedate. ;-) Since I share a birthday with my mom, we've taken some great trips together over the years to celebrate. For her 80th, we celebrated with a hot air balloon ride in Alburquerque! This year, she'll be here visiting so we'll be going to sleepy little Wakulla Springs for a birthday trip. And since Mom is going to be turning 91, I don't exactly expect us to be painting the town red!

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Shutterbug: I adore David Sedaris! And thanks for your comments. :-)

chicago Il.
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Wonderful report..thank you. We will be 4 friends from grade school celebrating our 50 th birthday in September in Saugatuck. We are all from the Aurora area. Where did you stay? We are staying at Beechwood Manor cottage. I am printing out your report and taking with. Thanks again.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

stumbled upon this trip report doin a lil so haven/saugatuck research of my own....what a great trip you had!! aren't the architectural boat rides in chicago great? i challenge anyone to go on em and not be dreaming of a condo on the river....and you all certainly enjoyed the saugatuck area...sure agree oval beach is lovely!....rapid david sedaris and npr fan here as well!! sounds like you all gained the appropriate 10# on vacation!

toot toot beep beep to your report!

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Shari: I'm jealous of your upcoming trip. How great you'll be celebrating with old friends in the same place. I know you'll have a fabulous time. The condo we stayed in was on Washington Street, just a couple of blocks down from the main drag in Douglas. Have a great trip and be sure to post a trip report when you return!

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saugatuck/Douglas TR July 17 - July 21: The End (Chicago)

Flizzer: The architectural cruise was really wonderful. I so love the bridges over the Chicago River, and it was such a gorgeous day to boot. Funny you should mention weight gain. I actually held my own or lost a bit on this trip. I think it was all the veggie meals I had. Who knows but my post-trip weight was the icing on the cake. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations