We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Still looking for great restaurant ideas, so far I have Everyday People Cafe for dinner and Pumpernickel's for breakfast and lunch.

There appear to be 2 winery owned tasting rooms, Fenn ?? and Taber; has anyone been to these and do they serve any wines in addition to their own? Any wine bars in Saugatuck?

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Michigan liquor laws are a bit conservative. Winery tasting rooms can only sample their own wines and wine shops aren't allowed to sample at all.

There are 10-15 wineries within an hour's drive of Saugatuck, it's fun to tour around. Award winning Reislings and other whites do best but the reds are coming along. Tabor Hill winery has an excellent restaurant too.

No wine bars in the area but great selections can be found at Everyday People, Marro's, Clearbrook and Butch's in Holland.

Other restaurants to consider, Ida Red's for breakfast or lunch....Journeyman in Fennville (recently recognized by Gourmet magazine)...Phil's in downtown Saugatuck has good food and a great vibe.

south haven mi
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Regarding the Journeyman restaurant. Last year , 2007, I was pretty delighted by its faire...wonderful, delicious, truly excellent food..But alas...it has lost its magic..

Recently they opened a new wine bar and extended the restaurant and the food we ate the last time we were there was not good. They had skimped on the amount of meat on the pizzas, and I ordered over medium eggs for the brunch, but they came back so uncooked that even the whites werent cooked. It was awful. The sourdough toast was burned and the eggs were almost raw. For the price, which is exorbitant, the food isnt worth it. I wont be going there again. I know that the economy is in the toilet right now, but that is no excuse to skimp on the food, especially for such high prices. I will go to Grasscup restaurant near Holland if I need a night out. The food there is always prepared with care.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

I just saw that Journeyman/Rye has closed down. We loved it when we were there last summer. Going back to Fennville this July 4th. Are there any new restaurants in the area (Fennville, Douglas, Saugautck)?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

If you like authentic Mexican, SuCasa has finally opened its new building in Fennville. I'm not a fan but many like it. Again I haven't been to it but Wild Dog in Douglas has been getting some good reviews over the last year, and also looks very busy. We like the outdoor seating that was added at Clearbrook Grill a year or two ago. We're going to be getting a new evening casual food/wine bar in South Haven. Alcohol license wasn't in place this summer but should be next summer. We've actually lost four of our better restaurants in the area and nothing real exciting taking their place. Hopefully as the recession ends things will change.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Thanks. What else closed?

Is the summertime market in Douglas open?

http://summertimemarket.blogspot.com/

Also, from doing some searching online I see that Salt of the Earth is opening in the old Rye space....anyone have news on when it will open?

http://www.saltoftheearthfennville.com/

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Blue Moon in Saugatuck, Journeyman in Fennville, Pigozzi's and Fish Tales in South Haven.

Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Summertime Market has opened. Opened last Thursday for the kick-off of Waterfront Film Festival. Fun little place and their bread should start coming in on the 22nd. (from the same person who made it for Journeyman).

Also a new restaurant in downtown Saugatuck is Wick's Park Grill in the old Boathouse. Completely re-done and a really beautiful space. Good menu and reasonably priced. Also they went smoke free which is a huge plus.

Hercules Hot Dogs also opened in the old Loaf and Mug. They are opened for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Completely redid the place with a nice interior, screened in porch and back courtyard. Great service and really good food. Great place for Breakfast and Lunch but not really a big enough menu for a substantial dinner.

The old JoJo's is now a new Mexican restaurant. While the food is very authentic and really, really good, the service needs some attention and, they are still a smoking restaurant. IMHO, the food is better than Su Casa. Never really a big fan. The name of the old JoJo's is Casa Azul I believe but the sign is still not changed.

Also heard about Salt of the Earth but haven't yet heard of a projected opening date or even if it is a "sure thing".

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Interesting about the boathouse, we'll need to check it out.

Iowa
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

Hey Rono, Were the restaurants you mentioned closed or good places to go?

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants & Wine Bars???

They "were" good places to go but they are now closed.

Hey I went to the Wicks Park Grill and it was tasty. I'd compare it to maybe Mermaid quality food. I talked to a gentleman that said he was the owner/chef, but I've also heard the infamous "Billie" herself was involved. Maybe just an invester, maybe she still owns it. What's nice for us is they take reservations.

Also Su Casa 2 has opened in South Haven next to the theatre.

Oh and something that shocked me, Kevin Rupert(son/chef) left Hawkshead and has opened the Glenn Restaurant. It'll be interesting to see what happens at Hawkshead.

Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck