We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Restaurant Fits This Description?

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
What Restaurant Fits This Description?

We're making a trip to Michigan next week and will spend one night in Saugatuck. I don't know anything about the town. I'd like to plan dinner for someplace very local, maybe a classic type place, serving food local to the region.

In other words, no chains, no newly opened hot-spots, not fancy. I just want to eat where local residents might go. Any suggestions?

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Restaurant Fits This Description?

We locals eat out everywhere in town.....you might try Phil's in Saugatuck or Everyday People Cafe in Douglas.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Restaurant Fits This Description?

I agree with Lakeffect. If the weather is warm you might try sitting out side at Mermaid or Clearbrook. Well then also the Butler, and Wally's are local. Really Saugatuck/Douglas is blessed with what you're looking for.

Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What Restaurant Fits This Description?

I would agree with the above. The only chain I can think of is Burger King out by the highway. I'd say very local would be Phil's if you're in downtown Saugatuck, Everyday People if you're in Douglas. Wally's is also very "local" but the food isn't as good as Phil's (IMHO). The Butler is probably the least "local" restaurant in town.

Everyday People would be the choice if you're foodies, and more likely to serve locally grown food. Phil's is louder, more casual, good food.

Have fun!

4. Re: What Restaurant Fits This Description?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck