We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

Is it possible to travel by public transport from Chicago to Saugatuck area - (Summer 2014)

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

Not easily. Two possibilities that I can think of would be Amtrak (Chicago to Holland, I don't think it stops in Fennville any more) or Trailways (Greyhound) bus. With both the closest stop would be Holland and you may be able to piggy back a ride from the Interurban, http://www.saugatuckinterurban.org/ I see they have a route to Holland on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm not familiar with Holland and if taxis are available.

sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

Thank you.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

Its a very easy 2 hour drive, highway all the way

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

I agree with Rono. You could take the Amtrak to St. Joseph, MI or Holland, MI. Saugatuck is a very nice town, but you'd probably have to rent a car to get there - either from Chicago or St. Joseph or Holland after your train or bus ride there.

sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

Thanks to all. It is just our getting from Chicago to wherever we decide 3 generations are going to have the best vacation. The younger family coming from N.Y. Will hire a car on arrival, which we will all travel around in.

They could pick us up from Holland. Or maybe even from Chicago if we can fit 4 adults, 2 kids & all bags (d-in-law doesn't travel light!) into rental vehicle. We are seniors & don't want to drive in the U.S. now.

Will continue with investigations on details.

grand rapids, mi
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

Definitely Amtrak train to Holland. There is no bus service from there and the station is not manned. So someone must pick you up. Saugatuck is a neat town.... You can travel up the west coast of Michigan and see other small towns with lots to offer. If you are in the area at the right time you may want to see Artprize in Grand Rapids... it is fantastic

Edited: 01 October 2013, 15:28
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,707 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

You might ask this on the Chicago forum. Many people in Chicago go for short vacations to Saugatuck and the surrounding area. Personally I always drive.

8. Re: Travel from Chicago to Saugatuck area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations