We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

uk
Level Contributor
92 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

We visited the tourist office in South Haven recently, we are from the UK, staying 5 days and were looking for general information about South Haven and the area round about. The woman greeted us pleasantly but when I began selecting leaflets and brochures she snippily asked "how many do you need?" I said "sorry?" and she rolled her eyes and said "it's alright" Am I mistaken but isn't the purpose of a tourist information office to do just that - provide information with no limit on the number of brochures or leaflets you pick up.

She offended us so much that we promptly moved on to Saugatuck and are having a very pleasant stay.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

I would have also! Which office was it the South Haven Visitors Bureau, or the South Haven Chamber of Commerce? Or someplace else? There's no reason for that behaviour. I hope your stay in Saugatuck continues to be pleasant.

uk
Level Contributor
92 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

Not sure which office we were in - there was a farmer's market next to it on the Saturday morning.

However, we are having a fabulous time in Saugatuck thank you, it couldn't be better.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

geez thats terrible...i know that office and often recommend to folks looking for info i can't help em with...usually only stop in there in the fall (they often have free apples from the local growers) but find them helpful on the phone when I'm lookin for specific kinds of accomidations....

sounds like YOU hit a real bad apple!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

ok, sorry for your first impression. and it was probably not called for. But to dismiss a wonderful town like SH because one person was "snippy" is like going to a museum and leaving because you didn't like the first painting. I am glad you are having a good time in Saugatuck, it is a great town, but i hope you don't get the wrong impression on SH. In fact, i like SH more than Saugatuck because of the people in SH. We go to both places about 6-7 times a year, but when we sepnd more than a weekend we always stay in SH.

chicago
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

I really hope that you would give South Haven another try. I would choose South Haven over Saugatuck any day, especially wt kids. It is beautiful there and so much more convenient to get to the beaches. I have never experienced anyone like that in South Haven. Everyone is super nice here. I am from Chicago and I know nasty.

uk
Level Contributor
92 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

I'm pleased that people have defended South Haven, I'm sure my comments won't have put anyone off visiting it, however as I am from the UK it is unlikely that I will be in the area again but if I am I would most definitely choose Saugatuck which was much more "my kind of town".

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

i hope everyone thinks they don't HAVE to choose between the two cites....they are just a 10 min drive apart!! I stay in south haven but like to cruise up to saugatuck at least a couple of times a year for the galleries and fun shopping!!

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

We love South Haven and have gone there several times over the last 15 years, but I have to admit that last year when we went into the Tourist Office, there was a woman there who was not very friendly, also. I'm guessing that it was the same woman, and perhaps someone in authority there should help her with her people skills.

9. Re: Tourist Information Office - a real turn off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 07:18