We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When will the water freeze

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
5 posts
Save Topic
When will the water freeze

Hello, we visited South Haven (to get our toes wet) in September and made a "pact" that we wanted to see the water and light house frozen. We looked at past temps and pictures people posted and decided on Jan 15-17, 2010 to hopefully see ice. DO you think that we are going to get lucky, or not? Could you please let me know if the water is freezing also? Thanks, we can't wait to be back. I am counting down the days!!

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
826 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When will the water freeze

Ttry these, not South Haven but alike.

http://www.surfgrandhaven.com/

ghsteelheaders.com/Home/…Default.aspx

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/webcams/

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When will the water freeze

We have had ice on the lighthouse in St Joe and on the railings on the pier -- but the shoreline and lake have not frozen yet. The lake looks the most amazing when the wind kicks up and then the waves freeze in layers against the shore. It is also really cool when the whole lake looks frozen and chunks of ice seem to be bobbing on the water in a solid mass. For your sake I hope it freezes -- for the rest of us -- not so much !!! I could survive if it never got that cold this year.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When will the water freeze

it seems to vary....i come up in Feb for the icebreaker fest and sometimes the lake is frozen with snow mixing into the sand....the lighthouse is most gorgeous with a think layer of ice...like stalagmites in a cave...and other times its not...

either way i think you can't lose....its interesting up there in all seasons!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When will the water freeze

Lake Michigan is not frozen yet, but big islands of ice are forming now. and with it so &^*% cold it may be very soon. But as FLIZZER says, it's always fun !

Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When will the water freeze

Thanks for the update. We are 10 days away

from our visit ! I am sooo excited.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When will the water freeze

Updated lake report: As of today in St Joseph the lake is starting to freeze! The waves were cashing in and beginning to form mountain like layers on the shoreline. The lighthouse looks all frozen over and out past the lighthouse on the lake it is getting all icy white. If it stays cold this week -- you will be very happy with the sight. We are getting more snow as I write, so the odds are pretty good! .

Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When will the water freeze

You must have been reading my mind, I logged on to ask for an update and here it was!

SOUNDS GREAT!! We are 1 week away, will be at South Haven on Saturday. Weather is staying cold so I do believe that it is going to be the way we want it! Thanks for the update, I would really appreciate it if you have time, to update me again!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When will the water freeze

hey, hope you have a great trip. This weekend was amazing, looking out over the lake when it is sunny brings a smile to any face. we will wait for your trip trport....you are planning to write one aren't you?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When will the water freeze

Thinking of coming up this Saturday for 1 night. This sounds great. I've only seen pictures. We've never been to SW Michigan in the winter. Dare I say it, I hope we experience some lake effect snow. :) Will report if we do go.

Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: When will the water freeze

I will most definitely let everyone know how our weekend turns out! I look forward to giving you all the fun details. Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming!