We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

we are. Fri 'n Sat night...he, he, he (snickering like a little school boy) Staying at the Hampton Inn.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

Well, you have fun now in SH. Glad you are spending some dollars in MI. We need them. (But then, who doesn't?) You'll like the Hampton Inn. :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

^ Thanks, haven't had a bad time in the area yet.

It's snowwwiiinnnnggg! It's snowwwingggg! I'm a little sick of Chicago snow by now but will welcome it here since this is a weekend getaway. Can't wait to get out in the morning. Arrived in St. Joseph around 4pm. Took in the annex kids museum next to the merry-go-round for around 45 mins. Had dinner at Silver Beach Pizza and as we left for SH, it was snowing.

Finally, drove down Blue Star Highway in the snow - lol. The crashing Lake Michigan waves are pretty amazing. Theharbor here is all iced over - kinda cool - Wasn't like this last visit. In for the night - the DW is battling a cold :)

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

I , ahh kinda wish I could be there but I'm in Key West. Have fun!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

You're in Key West still?....lol. You don't have to be told to have fun:)

Saturday: The hotel breakfast was not bad. Headed out for the light house. The 4-6 ft swells from Friday evening were gone. The ice chunks moved out of the inside harbor area. We spent about an hour on the beach taking pics (me) and the kids playing in the snow/ice. I kinda wish I headed out earlier so I could've walked up closer to the lighthouse by myself. Got some goodies from Golden Brown Bakery to bring back to the room. Swam for a while and took advantage of the hot tub in the hotel.

By the mid afternoon, we headed out for downtown. Wife bought a dress, on sale. Oh, that store I like is Ducy and not Lucy - I can't believe the amount of stuff they have. We popped in and out of a couple stores. Had a snack at Clementines. Sat in the bar area - 2 beers, 3 sodas, cheese quesadillas and chicken finger apps = $27 - didn't expect to spend that much for a snack, lol. On a bright note the 12oz drafts are only $2.50, can't beat that.

Saw Maria's, Harborside and Tellos. Headed back to the hotel to chill out after Clementines and eventhough we voted on Maria's for dinner it ended up to be a Subway night. I couldn't taste my food because of my nasal stuffiness along with the DW - so we decided if we can't taste anything we'll just stay in.

Somewhere I read of snowshoeing in Saugatuck - maybe want to try that next year. Enjoyed Hampton Inn - will post review later. Now, can't wait for Summer season!

A few more pics: http://tinyurl.com/yhfapho

Edited: 01 March 2010, 05:17
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

great trip report!! love south haven in the winter!!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

Thanks for the TR-always a good thing to read. We especially need them in the MI forum. Glad you had a great time. Hopefully all that ice will be gone soon----:)

That Rono has it hard right now-still in Key West-jeez, and he could be in SH. Hmmmm, which one would I pick? I am sure you are having a blast down there in KW, Rono. Glad to see you in the forum though. :)

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

THANKS for the trip report...damn you know how to get pics that show the COLD.............i hope your pics in the summer are just as good.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

@socrog ".............i hope your pics in the summer are just as good."

lol...I think my summer pics would probably look like everyone elses.

I think I like the Hampton Inn slightly over the HI Express because of the hot tub and the hot items offered at breakfast - it looked fresh, not take it out of a box and microwave it. Only neg is there are no mini fridges in the standard rooms but I was told you can ask for them at the desk. Plus, if we stay here in the summer, it's right across from that ice cream place - not that a frosty from Wendy's next door wouldn't be just as good. BTW my official reviews have been posted.

Edited: 13 March 2010, 14:06
Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

Heh Suburbanite.....i see you are from Chi=town....did you make it down for any of the party this weekend...i have lots of pics from people who went to see the green river

10. Re: Guess who's going to SH this weekend...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:16