We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House on the Black River

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
House on the Black River

We are looking at renting a house on the Black River near the bridge. I originally wanted something on the south side to be close to town and beach. I am not familiar with the North Beach but was told this home was close to that. Can anyone give me any insight to this location and what I might expect prior to me committing to it. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House on the Black River

Can't think of many homes on the south side near the bridge. Some condos maybe, but for a house you'd be up on the bank much closer to the lake. The northside is very nice but other than Northside Memories and the sports store there isn't much there other than the beaches. this isn't bad by the way. Depending on on the address it may be a very good place to stay as most of the northside is a mile or less from downtown.

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: House on the Black River

I'm sorry I was not very clear in my original post. This house is on the North side of the river, close to the bridge.

When I started looking, I was hoping for a house on the south side close to town/beach area, however everything is already booked for the week we have available, or if it happens to be open they do not allow pets. However I came this home on the river, not exactly what we had been looking for but it sounds nice. We have only been to South Haven a couple of times (though we love it) this is the first time we will be staying an entire week and it has always been on the south side, just very unfamiliar with the north side -

Thanks for your help.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House on the Black River

I'm guessing that if it's a house on the "North side of the river close to the bridge" it's probably on Park Ave.? Which, as Rono already pointed out and as you may already know from visiting here before, it's not really that far from downtown and access to the North Beach is available at several points along North Shore Drive, which would be just a hop/skip/jump away.

There's also Captain Lou's restaurant/bar located right at the bridge on the North side of the river.

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: House on the Black River

The house is located on Black River St.

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: House on the Black River

The house is located on Black River St.

Edited: 19 March 2010, 01:19
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House on the Black River

I've stayed in condos in that area and also a house on park st and it's a great location!! just a block to a small public beach and a block & a half to packardpark--a bigger beach with picnic area and bathrooms....north beach is just a short walk down the beach or down north shore drive....and town is just a hop skip and a jump....or a leasurely pub crawl looking at the signage that depicts the beginnings of the town.....i love that area!! North shore memories makes great lunches for under 6 bucks that you can take to the beach and has liquor and other necessities....the yelton manor gardens are worth a look in themselves....capt lou at the drawbridge is a great place for a beer on the deck in the hot sun!!

sounds like you got a winner!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: House on the Black River

Thank you for your help. We did decide to go ahead with this house and we have put our deposit down. We are so looking forward to spending a week in South Haven!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House on the Black River

very cool, you will love it. we expect a full trip report on your vacation please. when are you going?

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: House on the Black River

Thanks I'm sure we will love it. We will be there the week of July 17th - 24th.

I will give lots of details after wards!

10. Re: House on the Black River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:17