We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family rental

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Family rental

We are looking for a home with a least 4 bedrooms for our first family getaway. Where do we start and what area should we look in? We have four small grandchildren, but the big kids want to have fun too!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family rental

here is a great link for your use. just click on the "accomodations" link. The town is basically divided into north and south sides, separated by the river. Most tend to think the north side is a little nicer, the south side is a little cheaper but still good. have a great time, and make sure we get a trip report on the time there!

http://www.southhaven.org

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family rental

In addition to socrog's link you can look at VRBO.co and homeaway.com for home rentals.

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family rental

Btw , type South Haven in the "search for properties" box at the top of homeaway's home page. I don't like the layout but for some reason a lot of south havenites list there.

Alton
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family rental

Reply to: Family Rental

We rented a wonderful house on Lake Michigan, it is in the area of Glen which is just north of South Haven. The house has four bedrooms, two baths, a lovely screened in porch over looking a huge lawn and Lake Michigan There is a fire pit for nightly hot dog roasts. The age ranges in our family was from 2 years to 16 years and it was perfect for everyone and the older kids had a great time playing football on the big lawn. The only drawback is that there is about 75 stairs to climb back up after enjoying the beautiful private beach.

I have found that a lot of the beach rental in South Haven really aren't right on the beach but a block or two away, and it's just not the same.

Key in Martha's cottage Glen Michigan or go to Millpond Reality in Saugatauk Mi. as they handle the house.

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family rental

Once again I must correct Alton Traveler in their , I'm hoping innocent misleading post. South Haven does indeed have hundreds of rentals a block or more away from the lake. It also many many rentals, homes and condos directly on the lake. Anyone with any familiarity with the town would know that. I'm talking walking distance to the downtown area. Many many more a mile or two from town. Btw way GlenN is 8 miles north of SH. Socrog and Flizzer have stayed in many of the rentals in SH and I'm just a life long resident who happens to live on the lake.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family rental

Thanks Rono! I didn't have time to respond to Alton Traveler last nite!

I too, have lived here all my life (a gazillion years in dog years! LOL) and there are more lake front rentals than you can shake a stick at!!

I'm glad Alton found a place they liked.

Alton
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family rental

Family Rental:

Rono, promise I will not intrude on your territory again. I was just trying to share a lovely rental which sounded perfect for the family.

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family rental

Then share it with the poster. But don't dismiss a town by saying that there are many rentals away from the beach and totally ignore the many many that are right "on the beach" which is what the OP asked for. I understand that you like Grand Haven, it's a beautiful town, but it doesn't offer much residential housing right on the beach. It does however have much to offer, but that's just not one of the things.

This is what I took offense to :

"I have found that a lot of the beach rental in South Haven really aren't right on the beach but a block or two away, and it's just not the same."

"Sometimes the discriptions you get can be deceiving if your not familiar with an area"

These statementments may be true but ignoring the fact that many properties in South Haven are on the beach, and the properties you described in GH weren't.

Maybe its just way things appear in print. I was called on the carpet by TravDreamer some time ago for slighting St. Joseph and the point was well taken. In my case I ignored it completely. I think we can promote our towns without slighting the others. Also while I post on the michign forums regularly and I don't own it, your opinion is appreciated but it needs to be accurate. Peace.

PS for those of you lost, this is in regards to two different threads, one on the SH and one on the Saugatuck forums

Edited: 08 April 2010, 21:56
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family rental

i like the north side....for right on the beach...michamonamac is a great lil cluster of small cottages with great owners ....their web site says it all....also shores is helpful....I've also used castaway rentals....for a cheaper deal try off the beach.....i usually do...its just a block or two off the beach....better privacy and quieter!! Victorian resort has family cottages and a ppol to add to the fun!

10. Re: Family rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 05:16