We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost Towns?

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ghost Towns?

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any ghost towns in the South Haven area. I've been reading that there were many boom towns that sprung up in the area, and since have been abandoned. I think it would be fun to check out what was left behind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost Towns?

sorry, have lived near SH for 20 years and no GHOST TOWNS come to mind.

Edited: 08 May 2010, 02:31
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost Towns?

I'm not sure they are ghost towns, but before auto travel there were many small communities like Leisure, Hawkhead and McDowell. Then there were the railroad stops like Pullman, Lacota, Grand Junction, and Kibbe. Ganges , along the lake has pretty much disappeared but at one time was a bit of a town.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost Towns?

I know this is a bit off subject but if you are interested in old buildings you could go to Greenfield Village in Detroit. You can see original building that were part of history.

The link below is the web site to Greenfield Village -

www.thehenryford.org/village/index.aspx

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost Towns?

there used to be another city up by saugatuck and a little of it pokes out of a dune once in a while....they point it out on the dune rides....can't see much though!

5. Re: Ghost Towns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:16