We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

too cold for beach in Sept?

St. Louis, MO
9 posts
Save Topic
too cold for beach in Sept?

Hello, I am trying to plan a possible trip to South Haven for late summer and early fall and it seems most places I would like are booked for August. I found one place that looked nice for the weekend of Sept. 10-11, but if it is already cold up there by then, we will probably look for something else.

Also, the address is 324 NORTH SHORE DRIVE, is that a good area with good beach access?

Thanks! I might just have to try looking earlier in the season for next summer, this is a last minute trip.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

I like September for Lake Michigan beach vacations, because the water is pretty much at its warmest for the season. There is some additional risk of weather that is too cold for swimming, but average highs through September are usually in the 70s (high 70s earlier in the month, nearing 70 by the end of the month) and days in the 80s are not uncommon.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

Hello Aprilbabies,

Here is a link to the weather in South Haven for last year in September.

The link is to Weather Underground. You can change the date in the History box. I picked September 10, 2009 but also picked to show the month.

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

It shows pretty much what jenifera2 says in the above post. And it is true the water in Lake Michigan is warm in September. It takes a long while to heat up that big lake and then it takes a bit to cool it off.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

Actually if you get a "normal" September it really is the nicest month. As stated, lake and air temps are tollerable and most of the summer people have left making it a bit easier to get around etc. However I must add that Lake Michigan is unpredictable. If we get an east wind for a couple of days the lake make turn cold even though the days are sunny.

Oh yeah, I'll try to drive by 324 on the way home and scout it out.

Edited: 18 May 2010, 21:33
St. Louis, MO
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

Thanks so much for all your help! The weather link is great! Also, I'm from St. Louis, so I know all about weather being unpredictable!

As far as the rental goes, I just wanted to make sure it was close to a nice beach. Thanks!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

It's cute, newly remodeled, single story. It's on the other side of the road from the beach, about 100 yards from Packard Park and the same from Oak St. Beach. Very easy walk to town.

St. Louis, MO
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

Thanks so much for going by there! That was so nice! Is Oak St. Beach pretty nice? We visited Silver Beach in St. Joe's a couple years ago, so I'm kind of spoiled and worried the beaches in South Harbor won't be as nice! It looks like if Oak St. isn't, then it might be worth the short drive to North Beach? Anyway, thanks so much!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

Oak Street Beach is one of my favorites. It never gets so crowded that you can't stake out a spot, even on weekends, and there's a nice picnic area by the bathroom hut. If you want to go in the lake, it's easy to find your own space in the water (it won't be crowded with too many people). Hope you have a great trip to South Haven!

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

geez i was just in st louis...amazing city....forest park is wonderful!! north shore drive has beach access all up and down....you don't have the name of the property do you?? I go in september a lot and sometimes you can sun in your suit and sometimes you're in a sweatshirt on the beach!! I'm a beachaholic so i'll do it all!!*HA* the water will def be too cold for swimming unless you're in a wet suit and a die hard swimmer!! the lovely thing about september is the crowds are gone and the area is still so lovely....apples are ripe for the picking....the wines go great with em and the prices go down!!

9. Re: too cold for beach in Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:16