We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

We've never been to South Haven, so would appreciate some advice on vacation rentals near or on the beach that would be suitable for 15 months old. We would like to be right on the beach or within very short walking distance. Also love water and swimming. Not sure what beach would be the best for us and what rental properties we should be looking at. A playground or kids park within walking distance would be a plus as well. Also, we would be coming around labor day and staying for a week. Thanks!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

Make a call to Jaqua, Shores, Lakeshore Lodging, or Castaway to see what they have available. You could also look at Mich Mona Mac, also on that list, as they are small cabins right on the beach. In general on the south side (where the Kid’s Corner is) you’re most likely looking at an older two story homes weekly rental. I know the owners and the homes at 109 and 113 Michigan Ave and they are now both offering rental. 109 has a pool. They aren’t on the lake but they have a view of the lake as well as the harbor.

You’ll find a lot of condos on the north side and most are near the lake and have their own pool.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

here you go...

www.southhaven.org/content.cfm…

like Rono says, the south side has the kids park. However, most people tend to like the north side a little better. But either are very good. just check the list i provided, if you have any specific questions just ask. We personally like VICTORIA'S RESORT,,they have a small pool and i believe some kids stuff too.

Please let us know where you stayed and your experience there, it helps a lot to hear from people on these matters.

have fun !!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

Duh! I forgot the link to southhaven.org. Thanks socrog.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

Thanks so much for the info. Just one more question - main diff on north side vs. south side? you mention that most people tend to prefer the north - better beaches? swimming? Thanks so much for all the advice

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

i like the north side beaches cause there are many small public beaches surrounded by private ones....the bigger beaches are the south and north side....for some reason the north just seems more accessible to a beach AND the town....the south does have kids corner that is a big play area....

chicago
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

been renting with www.northhavenproperties.com for over 10 years. please visit the website for pictures and information. they have many properties available for you to stay in. one in particular the "oak street beach house," which my family has stayed in is very nice and a block to the beach. it is right off north shore drive and oak street. if you would like to mapquest the address is 115 oak street, or visit the website. very clean, well maintained, and child friendly in fact there are strollers, a high chair, pack & play and beach toys at the cottage for your use. if you have any questions contact michael at kmb@core.com.

pam

Perrysburg, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

We have been coming to SH for 8 yrs (it's me from your Harbours post!) and also prefer the Noth Beach side. Honestly we have never stayed on the south but we have gone over there here & there, and it just has a different and "less comfortable feel" to it IMO. I am not real sure why. North Beach I guess just feels more vacation-ey to me.

As I mentioned in another post, our 1st couple years we stayed at Voctoria Resort, which was great for our daughter at that age of 2-3 yrs old, but I prefer to be able to walk very easily to & from the beach on these types of trips. So when she got old enough to spend most of thge day at the beach we wanted to get closer.

8. Re: Coming with parents and 1 yr old - where to stay in SH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:17