We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Haven activities on rainy days?

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
South Haven activities on rainy days?

I have some great things planned for our 5 days/4 nights in South Haven next week, but they're all outdoor activities. I'm seeing a lot of rain possibilities in the forecast so I need to add some indoor activities as well.

Any ideas of things for us (husband and I) to do in the area if Mother Nature rains on my parade?

Neither of us are shoppers, but a little browsing downtown is OK. Good places to curl up with a book and a cup of coffee may be needed since this portion of our trip is camping at VanBuren SP and sogginess may prevail in our tent if it rains a lot.

Any interesting museums to browse? Husband loves playing pinball--any bars in the area still have a machine tucked in a corner or a pool table?

Thanks much!

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

Lets see...........you can catch a matinee movie at the theater downtown. Nothing like your fancy cinema complexes in the big cities and the prices are CHEAP! Matinees are $4/pp; evening shows $5.50 and on Monday's it's $8 for two! Amazingly enough they actually show CURRENT movies! LOL

The Maritime Museum is a great place to visit as well.

There's the Art Center, but I'm not sure what type of exhibits they currently have.

I believe that the Thirsty Perch has pool tables and if you want to drive out of the city a mile, Maple Grove Grill/Tavern is a small neighborhood bar on M-43 that has great burgers, a juke box AND a pool table. There's also the Curve Bar on Blue Star Highway that has pool tables.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any of the bars that still have pinball machines. Maple Grove got rid of theirs 2 years ago :-(

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

Sorry! I forgot to address your coffee/book question.......I got so caught up in my "Thirsty Thursday" list of bars! LOL

There is the local library right next door to the Post Office and behind the post office is Cafe Julia. Be sure and try their "everything" cookie with your coffee!!!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

Thanks much for this list! Every time I look at the weather forecast there are more days with the claim of "scattered storms" so I'm sure we'll be using many of these suggestions!

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

Check out Joe's Bar and Grill, too. They've got a great menu, televisions to watch sports and lots of bar games, like pool, darts, Keno and shuffleboard.

Keep a watch on movies at the theater. It's a super-inexpensive theater so you could watch more than one movie and not break the bank.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

Thanks for the suggestion of Joe's. I've added it to my list.

Daughter is all packed for her ballet camp, our camping equipment is packed, now all I need is to pack my clothes and the food/coolers.

Ugh--excited for two weeks in west Michigan, sad to think it'll be two weeks without my daughter. Even my husband is getting choked up when we talk about how fast she's growing up and how hard it'll be to leave her.

Must focus on fun activities in South Haven, Saugatuck, and Holland!!!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

wow, two weeks in some very cool towns. We like all of them. All have different "vibes", but all are wonderful. I agree on the movie palce, it is a lot of fun, some of the theaters are upstairs, you never see that these days. and just a quick thought, all theseplaces are just an hour from Grand Rapids, which has some good museams and lots of great places to eat. hope we have a trip report on your vacation !!

Chicago, Illinois...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

rainy day kid activities in south haven? i know the blueberry festival starts tomorrow...and the weather calls for thunderstorms all day...

8. Re: South Haven activities on rainy days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 10:15