We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick help for tomorrow please

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
quick help for tomorrow please

Got here today & we love it! Water is so warm!

But they r calling for rain tomorrow :(. We really enjoy wineries so should we go north & do the few in south haven & saugatuck or go south? (we r staying @ van buren state park) thanks!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

Hi--here's what we did a couple weeks ago on a stormy day in South Haven while we were camping at Van Buren SP:

In South Haven we really enjoyed spending a rainy day puttering around town—browsing the Black River Books used book store, Café Julia for coffee, wi-fi, and an amazing granola cookie, Venezia’s for thin crust pizza for lunch, and Joe’s Bar for some tabletop shuffleboard were great ways to avoid being out in that huge storm a couple weeks ago.

Also, unless it is a huge storm system you may be able to drive out of it--check the forecasts for cities north and south of where you are to find where the system ends.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

There is a winery north of town in Fennville called Fenn Valley. SH also has plenty of its own new wineries, albeit very small. Maria's Italian Restaurant has its own wine now, and Old Harbor Village houses about three others. The previous post includes a lot of great suggestions as well, though I prefer Bear Claw Coffee in Old Harbor Village to Julia's - better roast and not nearly as expensive. Black River Books is a great suggestion, as well as the movie theater and bowling alley.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

fyi bear claw is gone...too bad as they had a great cold expresso drink....i like fennville & the tasting rooms in saugatuck on a rainy day...we're up here too and we spent Sunday which was overcast there....took the kids on the Star of Saugatuck boat ride when it cleared up....

there is a tasting winery in old harbor with new outdoor seating but i found the folks running it rude and haven't been back since...

don't forget the cheap show...they've got harry potter and you won't find cheaper movies or popcorn anywhere...and bonus!! shermans ice cream in cups for a buck!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

Bear Claw is not gone. It came back for the summer and is located in the little white lighthouse at the end of Old Harbor Village. I find the folks running Cafe Julia and Phoenix Street Cafe rude, so I prefer to frequent Bear Claw instead. Which winery was it in Old Harbor Village that you didn't like? There are three: Channel Wine Bar, St. Julian's, and some other one.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

I think the other one may be Warners. I prefer Julia's as it's just more convenient for me. However when there's a line out the door, which would explain a brisk attitude, I go to Bear Claw because there's generally only a couple people there. Also since the remodel the line at Julia's is disorganized with people lining in both directions, no one understands the express line as there's usually only one register open and this causes stress with the customers.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

the "some other one"...Wagners or Wegners or something like that...channel wine bar wasn't offering tasting while i was there...st julian i don't care for the wine personally....love love the folks at channel wine bar!!

and discovered this past week that bear claw is back!! awesome cold coffee drinks...but I'll still go with julias for regular expresso....never have found them rude....rono has a point on no one getting the express line *HA*

7. Re: quick help for tomorrow please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 15:16