We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy fresh lake perch

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Where to buy fresh lake perch

Hi,

Heading to SH in a couple weeks for a weeklong vacation with the kids. Wanted to find out if I'll be able to buy fresh perch anywhere to take to the cottage and cook for dinner. Or any other fresh fish from the lake.

Is it common to just buy at the grocery store or is there a fish market or something?

Thanks

Ryan

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

My understanding is that only native americans can commercial fish Lake Michigan so they would have to come from them. To my knowledge there is no one in this area so they would need to be trucked in from another port like John Cross in Charlevoix.

With that said your best bet would be Village Market on the south side of town. They have a fresh fish counter and I've seen Walleye and White Fish and I assume they may have Lake Michigan perch, but like I say it may have been frozen, I don't know for sure.

You can rent a boat as we're catching lots, we were just out Sunday and caught dinner.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

I was told by many who should know, that the restaurants in Michigan rarely get it fresh and when they do it's from Chicago. I was surprised to realize that all of the fish fry's I've been to were all frozen. Same thing happened to me in Wisconsin.

South Haven...
Level Contributor
222 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

Most of Village fish is frozen, wheather they admit it or not.

Best bet is to fish for it yourself. You could inquire of the fishing charter boats what they do with their catch. Some give all to their customers, some split the catch. I would be curious what they do with their half. Best way we do perch is to order it to go from Clementines & take it home. It is the best in town & no greasy messy kitchen.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

I don't think there is very much lake perch left in Lake Michigan. We were in Traverse City this weekend, and the restaurant told us they get their perch from Lake Superior. Their whitefish comes from, I believe, John Cross.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

I think it all boils down to the fact that fishing for commerce has to be inspected (Dept of Agriculture) and there is no inspection area in Michigan. I was up in Traverse a couple of years ago and couldn't find fresh whitefish for sale anywhere. Really frustrating, It's BYOF!!

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

or do what i do and go OUT and get it....Clementines perch is yummy whereever it comes from!!

7. Re: Where to buy fresh lake perch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 22:17