We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Haven or Silver Beach?

4 posts
Save Topic
South Haven or Silver Beach?

I am traveling to Chicago from Cleveland with two boys ages 7 and 9. Wanting to stay on the beach for two days on our way. Which beach would you say is best for the kids? South Haven or Silver Beach? Any recommended places to stay where we would be close if not on the beach?

Thank you!

Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

I live in the St. Joe area so I'm more familiar with that beach. Great place with kids - there's a fountain area right near Silver Beach, carousel and Curious Kids museum. The Boulevard Hotel is at the top of the bluff and walkable to the beach although you will have to use stairs. There's also the Silver Beach Hotel - I've never been in the room there so I can't say what they are like. It is an older hotel. There are other hotels but would involve driving to the beach. These two hotels are right in town and you can walk to restaurants, ice cream, shops, etc.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

I like them both...& my grandkids are 8-4....there is LOTS to do at silver beach....great pizza at the depot by the way; but I LOVE LOVE the laid back atmosphere of south haven....buy a 2 dollar kite & frisbee and your entertainment is set...

my grandkids were a little afraid of the spray park in St Joes....its HUGE!! but that age might love it...the childrens museum is reasonable...and the carosel room is as cool as the carosel...

I stay in south haven and make a day trip to st joe if it rains...

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

and let me just reply here *HA*...i know IT works....staying on the beach is tough for a weekend...but you can call the tourist bureau...(269) 637-5252...they've helped me with last minute stays just for a couple of days in the summer....I once scored a little cottage walking distance to the beach over labor day from Castaways rentals....

I love love sun & sand....read the reviews for more info....I stay there then drive to packard park on the north side, park for 7 bucks and stay all day...you can walk to town from there....there are bathrooms and changing area and picnic tables and grills....best al fresco dining in south haven....

Also Hampton Inn by the highway is always serviceable and includes the free breakfast of course.....its a few miles to town...another fun idea w boys that age are the cabins at South Haven Family Campground....it's still camping but you can eat in town and avoid all that....you would have to bring linens, etc...they have some fun activities and my grandkids love that too....a longer drive though and they are a new campground without a pool so far...bring your own shade!! *HA*

another idea might be Victoria resort if they have availability....they have an outdoor pool and I'm pretty sure the inn can acomidate kids....the cabins are by the week....

hope this answers your questions...

Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

Just to add to fizzer's post - I believe South Haven Family Campground has added a pool.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

i'd go with st joe (silver beach).... don't get me wrong, i LOVE both towns, and both towns have top-notch beaches, but there's more to do for kids in st joe.... plus, it's less out of your way en route to chicago... however, if you end up staying in st joe, you could always take a short 20 minute drive to SH (or vise versa) for a few hours.....

you could stay in the silver beach hotel in st joe, tho it get's mixed reviews on TA.... we've stayed there and it wasn't that bad---a bit pricey and a bit rough around the edges, but the location is close to everything.....

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

I was gonna say...a buddy was at south haven campground last w/e and says they've now got a pool and a jump pad!!

7. Re: South Haven or Silver Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:17