We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

Hi,

My family (Myself, Wife, 9 yo girl & 11 yo boy) will be renting a house just south of South Haven July 27 - Aug 2. The rental house is down off 20th Ave (on Michigan Blvd) and is right next to the dunes.

We spent a few days in Soth Haven a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the beach. Ditto St. Jo. The beach is the main attraction for us, but would like to have other options as well.

I am hoping to get some suggestions on other ideas for things to do in the area.

We are a very active and adventurous family and will likely bring our mtn bikes if that helps.

We are happy to drive to other locales to a degree - but would prefer to stay somewhat close to 'home' for the most part. We also like exploring 'off the beaten path' places and getting away from the touristy thing. For example, small out of the way towns with fun eateries etc...

Thanks a ton for ANY hints!!!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

First thing would be the KalHaven Trail. A trail that runs from SH to Kalamazoo. Farmer's Market Wed. and Saturdays. There's a skate park over by the KalHaven trail head. The movie theatre is cheap and fun. They may be a little old for Kids Corner on Monroe Blvd. The Maritime Museum has two boats that offer rides, the Lindy Lou that travels up river and Friends Good Will that offers several rides daily on Lake Michigan, some more directed at children. That age may really enjoy the dune rides in Saugatuck.

Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

Thanks a ton Rono.

I will definitely check out everything you listed.

Movie nite will be welcome after a day in the sun for sure!

Are there any fairs or festivals happening anywhere in the vicinity?

I saw a restaurant specializing in pies - is that in Fennville? Kids love pie!

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

The "pie place" would be Crane's Orchard in Fennville. Love their apple dumplings!!!

If you head to Saugatuck for a sand dune ride, you can also climb Mount Baldy. Our kids used to love trying to count all the stairs to the top. (100+)

Not sure when you arrive on the 27th, but it's the 6th annual Country Harvest Farm Fest. I've attached a link to the SH Visitors Bureau below. They show some other activities going on as well. Please note that the 27th and 28th is the Gus Macker Basketball Tournament, so there will be limited access to the South Beach.

Hope you enjoy your visit to South Haven.

www.southhaven.org/event_details.cfm…

Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

Wow thanks to both of you experts!

I am just a bit worried that my kids won't be completely entertained by the beach for days like they were when they were younger.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

You can rent double kayaks and kayak on the pawpaw river ( very pretty and quiet) through the Hrbor Shores olf course in Benton Harbor/St Joe. Mostly what you see while kayaking is the trees and turtles on logs and maybe even a deer. $25 for an hour.

rent a 4 person surrey bike in St Joe. Go get ice cream ( lots of places) or yummy cupcakes from Mimi's cupcake truck parked by the top of the stairs up from the beach. Delicious! Or go perch fishing out on Lake Michigan with Par-te Tyme in St Joe. or rent a paddle board at lots of places on the beaches in St Joe. this seems to be the hot thing to do this summer.

Fountain and carousel and curious Kids museum in St Joe are fun too. www.sjtoday.org

Just south of South Haven on Blue Star hwy is Degrandchamp's and u pick blueberries. YUM!! Easy!! This will keep you busy for about an hour.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 00:20
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

I've done just about all of the above with kids that age and it's fun fun!! Also there is canoeing at Allegan canoes...I don't have the info but stop in the visitor info place next to the downtown park and they can give you ideas and more!!

take a walk north on the beach....you can go miles....the Kal Haven trail is not to be missed....on bikes or foot....

Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

Great ideas! Thanks a ton..

In case it helps, the house we are renting is just north of Van Buren state park and there are dune separating it from the beach. It is just off 20th ave. The kids will have a blast climbing the dunes etc. My legs are sore just thinking about it!

South Haven...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

A new place just opened this spring. It is called KJC ATV Rentals & Trails of South Haven. It is about 7 minutes from the beach. We have two person rentals just for kids. The trails are over 3 miles. Sounds like you are an outdoor activity type of family. I am sure you will enjoy yourselves as well as the kids. Here is a link.

http://www.kjcatvrentalsandtrails.com

9. Re: Suggestions please: activities near SH for 9 & 11 yo kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:17