We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

Looking in the area around South Haven, Saugatauck, and Grand beach. for a resort or hotel on the beach. Any suggestions appreciated. I have found Lake Shore Resort- but is that is?

Or a nice waterfront hotel. Something similar to the quality of a Hampton Inn type of room.

I have also considered Bay Side Inn.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

Well well well hi there Greenie. Surprisingly there are very few hotels on the shore of Lake Michigan. In South Haven there are two.

Sleepy Hollow. A few years back Sleepy Hollow was completely re done and is comprised of a main building and then a bunch of smaller cottages. It looks very nice and is right on the beach. It is a condo style with individual owners that vacation there every year. I bring that up because some (socrog) says the atmosphere is cold with the regulars not being friendly to "renters".

The other is Lake Bluff Motel and in my opinion isn't nearly as nice and receives mixed reviews. It is also on the Lake but has no beach at all or access. It's been around a long time.

South Haven also has some excellent condo complexes that are right on the beach that would also meet your requirements.

contact southhaven.org and look under accommodations for a list condos, hotels, and B&Bs. Places like Shores, Jaqua, and Castaway would be who you go thru for condos.

Lake Shore Resort is actually quite nice and is at the end of a quiet road.

The only real resorts I can think of on Lake Michigan is The Homestead near Glen Arbor and Bay Harbor in Petoskey. I can recommend either of those two and have stayed there.

Welcome to Michigan and bring money!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

hi Rono- thanks for all the help. I'll bring cash.

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

We take credit cards as well! Are you flying or driving up?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

driving

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

Homestead and Bay Harbor would be another three hours or so north, beautiful up there though.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

some ideas:

http://www.bluewaterinngrandhaven.com/

http://www.beachwayresort.com/

http://www.chaletonthelake.com/

http://www.gintarasresort.com/

see this recent thread on the subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28943-i319-k76520…

and see my reviews of the sun n sand resort and the bluewater inn. they give you an idea on what to expect of a typical, old timey, western michigan resort:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g42716-d4990…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g42252-d6559…

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

My dtr recently stayed at old harbor....the rooms are quite pricey at 200/nite...but she was very pleased. They had trouble with a lock and the locksmith was right out. She got a harbor view room w out a balcony? The restauants are noisy but she felt the air drowned them out. And there was great drunk people watching!

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

For the record Sun n Sand has been sold out the last two weekends. I was surprised to see the "no vacancy" sign out but it was.

9. Re: Are there any lakefront-beachfront hotels or resorts nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16