We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing at the end of March?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing at the end of March?

Hello,

Considering a trip to the area the last week of march for the beginning of my kids' spring break. Is there still skiing that week normally? If so, what are the conditions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

You just never know. I know Boyne tries their best to have skiing through spring break but couldn't do it this year, but they have in the past. Not the best skiing...usually only a couple of hills open. I wouldn't count on it or else go somewhere that there is something else to do in case the skiing is finished.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

I'm not sure about Crystal (I assume that's where you're looking since you're in the Thompsonville forum) I would think they'll be open until the end of March, but I've not done any late season skiing there. I did look at their events calendar and it seems the mardi gras and other end of season events are a few weeks earler than Nubs and the Boynes. You might want to have a back up plan. With that said, Nubs Nob (IMO) has the best snow and grooming around...they usually ski into the first week of April (this year's close date is April 8). I can only remember once in the last 20+ years that I've been skiing at Nubs that they didn't make it til thier close date. Late season discount pricing begins March 19 and their annual "mardi gras" celebration is March 24...there's no way they won't be open for that. Maybe think about making the drive a touch longer and stayting at Boyne Mountain at the Mtn Grand Lodge...they have a great waterpark and it's close enough to ski at either Boyne Mountain or Highlands or Nubs Nob. Just a thought ;)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciate it!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

hmm, come to think about it, Easter was really late this past year, April 24th, so Boyne did stay open until the weekend before.

Indianapolis...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

We're weighing up the exact same situation. We're driving up from Indianapolis, so we pretty much have to be somewhere that there are other things to do besides ski just in case the mountain is "unskiable". We are two parents, and two young kids.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

Boyne and the waterpark are absolutely nuts during spring break. (last week of March, first week of April) If you want other things to do in case, I would stay near Traverse City for things to do and drive to skiing to Crystal, Shanty Creek or Homestead. Or stay in Petoskey and drive to Nubs, Boyne or the Highlands.

Indianapolis...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

Didn't want to hear that!!!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing at the end of March?

maybe some others will have recommendations for things to do or where to stay. The waterpark is fine if you don't mind not having a tube, chair, waiting in monstrous lines to get in, for food and for slides. Maybe Great Wolf isn't as bad???

Reply to: Skiing at the end of March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thompsonville