We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any hidden treasures for a family

ONTARIO, CANADA
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any hidden treasures for a family

We are coming to Traverse City Aug. 1-6, for vaca, and am wondering if anyone knows of some must do's in Traverse City? We went tubing once in Traverse City and it lead to Lake Michigan, does anyone know what this place is called? Are there any other places we should go and do or see?

Thanks

Shannon

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

I think you are thinking of the Platte River, about a 45 minute drive from TC. It runs along Lake Michigan Road, is a great river to tube in. It ends in a lovely park, where you can play in the river, or cross the river, and go over the small sand dunes to a fantastic Lake Michigan beach. We have done this run a few times.

Have you done the Sleeping Bear Dunes? If not, then do so with your kids. Take the Pierce Stocking Drive tour, also. Go to Fishtown in Leland. Shop in Sutton's Bay-maybe catch a movie in their old theatre. Go see the Northport Lighthouse and use their wonderful beach. If bringing bikes ride the great VASA trail. Go out Old Mission Peninsula and see that lighthouse/beach, too. Have a picnic along the drive-you'll see some great big, flat rocks (stones) you can set up a buffet on-we do this every year! You'll have the beach to yourself, too. Shop downtown TC; get ice cream. And I'd go tube that Platte River again! Can't beat it. Canoe the Boardman River. Go see the Coast Guard Station out in Glen Haven. Go see the visitor center in Empire for some sand dune history/science.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

Type in Momstravel in the Search box, her profile should come up. Go to her profile, click on her contributions and then her GoLists. She has a nice one on the TC area, with more detail on some of the things I mentioned. It is nicely done.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

Thanks Tyme for the endorsement! Here is the page to which Tyme refers: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28943-s202/Michigan:…

I hope it helps! Traverse City is a great place to stay to explore most of the areas mentioned. Have a great time! Moms

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

I can't seem to bring those links to the page-advise me, please!

Traverse City MI
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

There is also tubing on the Boardman River - and though it flows into the Bay, you can't tube all the way from the rental location at Ranch Rudolf, south of TC. It's a beautiful trout stream and the upper reaches near Ranch Rudolf are especially scenic. Leelanau County, with all it has to offer (Dunes, Fishtown, etc) is well worth a full day trip. Hiking opportunities are everywhere... from right in town to nearby wooded trails. The bike path (TART Trail) can be taken as far as Suttons Bay. And, if you're bike riders, I recommend a day trip for the paved trail along Lake Michigan between Charlevoix and Petoskey. Enjoy.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

Try double clicking on the link below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28943-s202/Michigan:…

moms

7. Re: Any hidden treasures for a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 16:20