We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommended restaurants for whitefish

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
recommended restaurants for whitefish

Which restaurants can you recommend for good whitefish dinners? Not looking for anything fancy; casual dining since we will be on vacation. Will be staying in TC, but willing to go over to SB area or up Leelanau.

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

I had great Whitefish at The Cove in Fishtown. Also the seafood chowder was one of the best soups I have ever tasted.

Casual spot, we drove up on a rainy day and it was fantastic.

http://www.thecoveleland.com/

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

I like the Cove also and its not too long of a drive. In TC I like, but they don't necessarily have white fish on the menu:

Apache Trout Grill,

FireFly right in town

Amical right in town I couldn't bring up the menu but its a great restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Apache Trout Grill
Apache Trout Grill
1,497 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Amical
Amical
981 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

Apache Trout Grill, can't go wrong there. Our favorite in TC.

Mentioned in this post
Apache Trout Grill
Apache Trout Grill
1,497 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
493 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

All above are great suggestions. I'd like to add Scalawag's good fish and chips w/ Lake MI whitefish. Very casual.

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

Apache is awesome. I just haven't had whitefish there. Either way you won't regret stopping in :)

Ohio, United States
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

As far as whitefish go, I prefer cooking the fillets myself in a skillet. In my opinion, it's the easiest fish to cook and takes very little time to prepare. Fresh whitefish is available at many of the local groceries for not much per pound, and there are a great number of wonderful picnic areas all over TC.

The best tasting whitefish I ever had in a restaurant was the Cajun style at Darrow's in Mackinaw City, but that's rather far from TC.

Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

Definitely go to The Cove! Their whitefish is fresh everyday from Carlson's. We were there at the beginning of the month, and everyone in our group was extremely pleased with their meal. I had the garlic parmesan encrusted whitefish, and it was delicious! It was just perfect, not too garlicky or fishy! My husband had the fried perch and is still raving about it.

We checked when sunset was, and made a reservation for then. It was just great! Their prices are reasonable, and they are a casual restaurant. Don't forget to share a piece of chocolate cherry cheesecake! Our wonderful waitress said that they make it every morning at the restaurant. I can't wait to go back next year!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

Scalawag's is also my recomendation.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommended restaurants for whitefish

To help a bit more re Scalawags and Apache Trout Grill - the first is a "fish & chips" style place, very casual (almost at the fast-food level) - while the second is very nice, still casual, not fancy or expensive, with a beautiful deck on the water. S is right in town, and ATG is just a short drive away. If you want the nicer "night out", I'd opt for the ATG. If you just want a whitefish fix while walking around the downtown area, then give S a try. If you have the time and that whitefish itch, give both a try...

Mentioned in this post
Scalawags
Scalawags
171 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Apache Trout Grill
Apache Trout Grill
1,497 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas