We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

My husband and I are headed to TC during cherry festival week with our 3 month old. It is our first time in the area. Wondering what we can do at dunes with a baby since I am pretty sure hiking the dune and trails is out. Is the driving route enough to stop and get beautiful vistas? Can SB dunes tour be combined with a drive on M 22 from Traverse city through suttons bay and Leland or is that too much for one day?

Also would you say that Traverse City restaurants are baby friendly?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

You can definitely do a driving tour of SBD and M-22. Many people make that a day trip-stopping at beaches or roadside parks with picnic tables, having meals, a little shopping, etc. I am sure the baby will sleep in the car seat or stroller at times and you will be able to see and do more than what you are thinking. Be sure and do the Pierce Stocking Drive tour, which is a part of SBD. You can get out at different lookouts (pull overs) and walk to see the lake, dunes, views, etc. The Lake MI overlook is very popular. You can push a stroller on this paved path.

I would assume most restaurants are baby friendly in TC. Certainly the chains are; and I have seen high chairs (though I know your little one will not be in a high chair at that age) at local, upscale restaurants, like Apache Trout Grille. That restaurant is our favorite.

Athens
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

Thanks! The driving tour sounds like a plan! I can't wait!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

tymetraveler has it right. If you find yourself along M-22 looking to grab a bite, try the Village Cheese Shanty in Leland (Fishtown) for some great sandwiches (http://villagecheeseshanty.com). Or come down closer to Pierce Stocking and the dunes in Glen Arbor; all of the restaurants here are family-friendly and offer typical American fare. Cherry Republic is a must-stop (http://cherryrepublic.com)! Great free samples, house-made ice cream and awesome cherry pie, lunch offerings....along with tons of cherry products. We live in the area and have a 4 year old, and are happily welcomed at most area/TC restaurants. Also try the Roaming Harvest food truck as another quick bite option in TC (http://facebook.com/roamingharvest). I could go on and on about the food scene in TC/Leelanau!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

definitely doable. i think you will really enjoy your visit to the pinky of michigan---beautiful area!

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
16 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

If you have a baby backpack, you can do Sleeping Bear Dunes. We've got a bunch of pics of my parents with us kids sleeping on their backs while they've hiked on paths, climbed SBD and did many other things :-)

And who doesn't love a baby? Since it's Cherry Fest time, there will be millions of them! Have fun!

6. Re: Sleeping bear dunes and cherry festival with 3 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:19