We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

We are still in the process of planning a late July trip to the UP (I know, we need to get a move on!). The Traverse City area looks like a good stopping point for us to break up the trip. As it looks like the most highly rated hotels on TA are booked, I am looking for recommendations. Requirements are primarily a nice, clean property. Bonuses would be free breakfast and a price tag less than $200.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

We have had good luck with the Holiday Inn Express in Acme. It has views of the East Bay and is

closer to the Grand Traverse Resort. Its only a short drive along the bay back to the main tourist area of town. It would definitely be right on your way north out of town the next morning.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 12:40
Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

I like The Bayshore. I'm not sure of their rates during the summer. The complimentary breakfast is a nice one. It is also walkable to downtown, although not as close as the Holiday Inn. I've done it in February, so it would be a breeze in July.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

The Sleep Inn and Suites in Acme is a good hotel, also. Near the HIE that doggy mentions. Both of those hotels provide a good base for exploring TC and have better rates.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

Just want to make sure you know - You're going a bit out of your way just to spend a night here. (If Kettering is where I think - I used to live near Toledo) There are other stopping spots along the route - and for about the same travel time you could get up to Mackinaw City and be ready to cross the bridge in the morning...right after you've had that free b'fast. But if you're set on this area...You've had 3 responses with 3 different suggestions - and we don't even know your exact night. I'd check here on T-A or another hotel site for availability and reviews. Other small towns to check besides Acme that would be worth your time on a July night are Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, and Petoskey.

Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

Thank you all for your responses. We are not set on Traverse City, we were initially going to stop in Ann Arbor but my husband wants to get further into the trip before stopping. We are leaving from the Dayton, OH area sometime during the weekend/week of June 19-22. Obviously the exact date is important so I am trying to get my "driver" to give me the day he prefers to leave. Vacancies have been hard to find for that time frame though.

Suggestions for other places to stop would be appreciated as well. We are a family of four with two boys, 18 and 20.

Thanks again!

Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

A friend just mentioned that they used to stop in Gaylord on their way to the UP. Any input?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

Yes, to me Gaylord as a stopping point would make much more sense than TC. It would put you an hour from Mac City and the bridge in the morning - it would give you a straight shot, simply getting back on I-75 - it is closer than TC would be, it is not at all out of the way, and it has plenty of hotel and restaurant choices....

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

But if you did drive that extra hour to MC, you might very well be able to get a spot on the water, if that's appealing to you.

Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

We are going to shoot for a night in MC on 7/20.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging for One Night in Traverse City

Smart choice, I think - and from a quick check of hotels here on T-A it looks like you will be able to be under budget, with a b'fast, and on the beach! Now - the next decision will be to decide whether or not to take a day from the UP and spend it with a trip to Mackinac Island...