We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Topic
Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Looking for an Italian restaurant in TC. Have done Stella's. We loved TraVino's. Need other suggestions-casual to upscale, price not a factor. Places not in TC proper are fine, but near TC-let's say within 40 minutes? Thanks!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Yes, there are a couple of good choices, though know going in that it will be hard to beat Stella's. The first is the Tuscan Bistro. I especially like this one because along with the good food they have an al fresco option. The second is fairly new - Sorellina. It is right downtown, just half a block from the Park Place. This particular spot has gone through numerous changes, but I think this time they have a winner.

I will offer one more, but I know nothing about it, and I'm a bit put off by the name - Spaghetti Jim's. Very good ratings for the homemade pasta, but very small, and to-go is recommended. All 3 can be found right here on T-A, as well as the other main food review sites. And in case you didn't know, TraVinos is now closed and for sale. Buon Appetito!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Thanks playaguys. Yes, I know TreVino is closed-- :( I will check out the two you suggested. I think I'd skip Jim's. ;)

Edited: 10 July 2013, 21:43
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Spaghetti Jim's - I will say that the reviews make me want to give it a try if I'm in the mood for pasta - Though as good as it might be, I'm not sure how pasta would hold up in a carryout mode...

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
80 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

I see a few options for you. I personally like Tuscan Bistro out in Greilickville. It's casual, but the food includes basic fare (their tagliatelli Bolognese is really good), along with other interesting options (their rolled roasted eggplant around mozzarella appetizer is one of our other favorites. Often, you can get in without a reservation--there is comfortable seating at the bar, and also outdoor seating with (limited) views of the bay. A decent wine list and usually amiable service.

Out in Burdickville/Glen Arbor is Funistrada. You *will* need reservations there, as it's tiny. But again, the food is quite good and they usually have interesting specials as well.

We haven't tried Sorellina's. It occupies the space that once housed The Bay Leaf (near the Park Place Hotel). The upside is that it's right downtown. The only reason we haven't gone in there yet is because the menu is, well, rather pedestrian. Nonetheless, you might want to see if any reviews exist on TA to guide you as well.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 18:46
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

It seems like a lot of the suggestions have been covered here, but I did a quick search through this restaurant guide for Italian food and there were a couple more suggestions. I definitely think this is a good resource for a food concessionaire such as yourself mynorth.com/My-North/Food-Wine/Restaurants/ . Minerva's (in the Park Place hotel) is a good suggestion for in Traverse City and there were quite a few suggestions in the cities nearby. Best of luck!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Gosh, I'm sorry to disagree, but I don't think anyone would consider Minerva's as an "Italian restaurant." If all it takes is offfering a few pasta dishes, then OK - but otherwise - No, at least not in the sense the phrase is usually considered. I really don't think that's what the OP had in mind for suggestions, and I'm guessing we could find several other area eateries that also offer pasta but that wouldn't be in the category. And all of this has nothing to do with Minerva's, but I do see it's ranked quite a bit below the others mentioned here so far.....

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

Thanks for your reply playaguya! I have never eaten at Minerva's, I had just browsed it by its categories, so great to hear a response from someone who has been there. Best of luck tymetraveler222 in your search for the perfect Italian Restaurant!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

No, to be clear I have never eaten at Minerva's, nor did I say I had. The OP's request was for "Italian Restaurants" in TC. There are currently 2 - Sorellina's and the Tuscan Bistro (Unless we count Spaghetti Jim's:-) Again, Buon Appetito to the OP. I'm pretty sure he's already made his decision....

9. Re: Italian restaurant suggestion, please....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City