We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Cabins

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Cabins

When we travel for short-term jaunts we always prefer to stay in cabin style accomodations. Looking at heading up to Traverse City for some color touring the week of 21 to 25. We used to stay in cabins West of town, run by a little old lay from England, but she died and the folks that took over raised the cost about 300%. Don't plan on being there except to sleep, as we'll be out shooting pics and touring all day so I just want a comfy bed for about 6 hours.for a couple nights.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 06:05
Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Affordable Cabins

Yeah, I didn't realize there were that many negative posts about the joint until we got back home and I thought to look to see if I was an anomoly or not....I'd guess not at this point. Believe me the next time we're looking for a place to stay I will be checking here first. I am teachable if nothing else.

There were several other places I looked into, but most were silly expensive. I'm not rich by any stretch, but even if I was a 100 bucks a night for 6 hours sleep and a 10 minute hot shower is stupid. I'd rather spend that money on a nicer dinner out or a sovenier T-shirt or something...... The fact that I was able to find a very nice, clean, warm, room with a great hot shower for 45 bucks makes my point for me. I'd go back to the Mitchell Creek Inn again in a heartbeat.

In other news I got a response from the lady that runs Timber Ridge this afternoon and she said she was not there while I was there and wasn't aware there was a problem. She also said she was cutting me a check for my full stay, which if that happens, I'll probably need to do a second review, or a rebuttal. Have to be careful though and find out what she'd want cuz it could cause problems for her either way. I don't enjoy writing bad reviews and dissing someone, but that experience was a bad deal all around. If it all could have a happy ending for everyone that would be great, but I still don't think I'll be going back there anytime soon.

Mentioned in this post
Mitchell Creek Inn
Mitchell Creek Inn
47 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Affordable Cabins

That is very good news, both for you and the owner. I meant to ask you about that - In your review, you never did say you actually talked to anyone other than the help. Of course that person was right in what s/he said...Not able to give any refund. It seems that your bad experience will now have that happy ending, or at least a satisfactory one.

Re your review of that first night - The owner has the option of posting a response to your review. It would appear right below yours on that page. You can let it go at that, or you can come back and explain the outcome yourself.

Re the Mitchell Creek Inn - I see that it gets very impressive reviews from other T-A members :-)

Mentioned in this post
Mitchell Creek Inn
Mitchell Creek Inn
47 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Affordable Cabins

Yes, I had no way of knowing if the woman I talked to upon our arrival was the owner or just a helper. I assumed she was the owner, given the time of year and all, but I could've been wrong just as easily.

I dropped her a line today to ask if she wanted me to update the review or do it herself once the check arrives here. It's a big plus that she's doing the refund, but I don't want everyone thinking they can stay for free if they just complain on here......I've known folks who'd do that and this isn't what that's about. If she makes it right and learns from this so the next guy, or couple don't have to have a night like we did then I'm happy with the outcome.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Affordable Cabins

I think you're making a good choice. And as a favor, maybe you could come back here to the forum and let us know how it all turned out....

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Affordable Cabins

Hey there playaguya,

Just stopping back to let you know that we did receive the refund check from Timber Ridge yesterday. The check was for the full amount we paid for two nights. I've been in contact with the lady in charge, from what I understand and she was going to ask the owners how they wanted to handle any further input and then get back to me.

I could've swore I saw a way for the owner to respond to my review on here last time I looked, but I was just at my review and couldn't locate any button for them to respond. Maybe I'm missing something simple, again, but I don't see it. After I hear from the lady in charge and find out what they want to do. I'll try and let you know that too.....

At this point, given that I won't get that night back, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Money's tight on a fixed income budget so this check will go a long way towards helping fund the next adventure, or maybe just buy some extra groceries next time out.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Affordable Cabins

Thanks for the update, Tom. Too bad about that lost night, but it sounds like the owners of TimberRidge are to be complimented for doing the right thing. But so you'll know, there is no "button" or anything else you need to or are even able to press. Each business owner - hotel, restaurant, etc - has the option to respond to any review that's posted about their place here on T-A. Some reply after every review, some only occassionally, some never, but it is entirely up to them. It's their decision. The one other thing I can think of at the moment is that perhaps they aren't aware they have this choice. If you want, you could tell them about it.....

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Affordable Cabins

Oh they're aware of it now<g>. I told her I'd write an updated review if they asked, or they could comment themselves, if they'd rather do it that way. At this point, unless I hear back from them, I'm pretty much done with this one and going to start planning the next adventure, even if it is a long time until spring.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 02:42
28. Re: Affordable Cabins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:21