We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

1 post
Save Topic
Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

We are a family of five with three young kids and would love to see the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and then drive up to Mackinaw City. We are planning to fly into Traverse City. Questions: How many days should we stay in Traverse City? Any recommendations on lodging in Traverse City and Mackinaw City. Finally, can we still pick cherries the last week of Aug? Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

Much as I love the Island,, I wouldn't drive that far just to day trip there unless it was the only chance that you will ever go there.

Spending one night there or in Mackinaw City, would be different.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

I was worried about booking too many days but part of it was meant for sitting by the pool/beach just to relax a few days. I do plan to do a day at sleeping bear and maybe will consider Mac city as well. We do have the flexibility of adding 1-2 days to our vacation and may consider staying in mac city after TC. My kids are 9 and 7 so they will enjoy just being away from home and playing on a beach. Sounds like Mac island could be tiring if we try to squeeze it between 4 hrs of driving so still uncertain if its still worth spending more $$$ on an additional 2 days in mac city to get to the island. We don't have the luxury of subtracting a day or two from our TC stay without seriously affecting the locked in rate we got for 5 nights unfortunately.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

"...sitting by the pool/beach just to relax..." I agree, that'd be my priority too. You will have to decide about the exra days/dollars. But you could do both by just adding 1 day to the whole trip and taking that time away from TC. Up front, drive right to Mac City, relax at the pool that evening, then do the Island the next day, and drive to TC in the evening....having the rest of the week for r&r. Put that extra day on the end of the trip and do it all in reverse, driving home from MC.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

What else is recommended aroung TC besides sleeping bear? I've heard about Petoskey but any must-sees in or close to TC? I think we may just save mac island for another long weekend or so since it appears one day is not enough especially when I hear mac city has things to do as well...

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

I'm guessing you mean for the whole family? Here are a couple of links:

www.traversecity.com/kids-activities-203/

tripbuzz.com/things-to-do-with-kids/traverse…

Other possibilities - if they are not already mentioned in those links, but probably are - might include miniature golf, taking in a minor-league baseball game, or a variety of other outdoor choices.

Saving the Island for another time is probably a good choice, though as I said, I think you could make it work. And for that next time...Not sure if I should say this, but I've been up here almost my whole adult life, and I'd never put Petoskey in the "must-see" category.

16. Re: Planning late Aug trip to Traverse City and Mackinac Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City