We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

My husband and I will be coming up for a weekend at the end of July. We'd love some recommendations for the best bloody mary in town, :)

Also, any suggestions for a great anniversary dinner would be appreciated as well. We're open to any type of cuisine, although I'd love to have something fresh and local, Price is not part of our selection criteria so anything goes! If you were taking your special someone out for dinner, where would you go?

I've researched restaurants on TA and as you can imagine, having never been to TC, it can get a bit overwhelming...sometimes you just need that personal point of view.

Thanks in advance!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

I'd stick with the reviews right here on T-A. There are 9 restos listed for "romantic", and I'd recommend picking from any of them except Moomer's. I have no idea how that one got in there! Apache and The Boathouse have the best views...Tuscan Bistro is the only one that offers a true outside option, if you are fans of that (We are!)...Most all of them are high on the list, offering excellent local food, but most all of them are inside (though Amical does have a covered terrace). So if you consider eating inside with a lot of other people to be "romantic', then I don't think you can go wrong with any of those recommended. If you'd rather be outside - or at the least have a view to the water - I'd recommend Boathouse, Apache, Tuscan B...or maybe Amical. I'm sure others will give their opinions on this too. And sorry, we're not Bloody Mary fans...

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

Apache trout grille. My fav! Ask for a table right at the edge of the outdoor area ( where you can order drinks and apps, but not entrees). The doors will be wide open and you will have great views and feel the breeze. Can't comment on the Bloody Mary's though!

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

I would go for the Chef's Table at The Cook's House! http://thecookshouse.net/ It can be difficult to get a reservation, but you can certainly try! The two restaurants in the Old State Hospital are the one's I go to for a romantic dinner -- Stella Trattoria or Pepe Nero -- both offering Italian cuisine. The latter being the most intimate of the two. Aerie at the Grand Traverse Resort is another one for a romantic dinner at the time of sunset -- not sure if you can eat dinner that late in July though :)

Can't comment on Bloody Mary's . . . I love 'em, but haven't found one I'd call the best one yet.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 00:06
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

If we're going to talk about sunset views, I'd go with one of UN98's suggestions for dinner- or any of the others mentioned so far or listed here on T-A- then go for that Bloody Mary right in town at the Beacon Lounge, top of the Park Place Hotel. My guess is they would do a good job with yourdrinks.....

Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions for dinner! A couple of the recommendations were already on my "maybe" list so I'm glad I was leaning towards some of the same places. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

I love Cooks House and the Tasting Menus are a good idea, however the place is so small your able for two may end up being, in effect, half of a rectangular four-top. Great, great and innovative local food, but not the most intimate setting.

Fresh and local can also be found at 9 Bean Rows up in Suttons Bay-- they even have their own CSA farm-- and their back patio/courtyard is lovely. Photo here-- http://goo.gl/nTVazo. It's just 16 miles up M-22 from downtown Traverse City. Here's an example of their dinner menu, which (with specials) changes frequently-- http://9beanrows.com/cafe/menu/ These are the folks who used to run Hearth & Vine at Blackstar Farms, so they have that "Mario loves them" imprimatur as well.

My second choice would be Stella at The Commons. I've not dined at Papanero, so can't speak to that experience. http://www.pepenerotc.com/

South Haven...
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

I love a good Bloody Mary. Most interesting I've found is at the Cove in Leelanau. They call it a Chubby Mary because they put a smoked chub in the drink. It is really a drink & appetizer served with crackers. Good spice, dill pickle, lemon wedge & smoked fish. Yumm!!! FYI ; chubs have been scarce in Lake Mi, might want to contact them to be sure they can make this for you. If available it is definitely an adventure.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

So the OP will know, The Cove will be over an hour round-trip travel time from TC. Sounds like it would be fun if they find themselves out there, but for just a weekend trip, they might want to know the distance involved....

Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

Google maps says 26 miles, 36 minutes from downtown Traverse City to The Cove in Leland. Probably it depends on what you're used to but it often takes that long to get from one place to another at home (metro Detriot) so it doesn't seem a big deal to me. True I would not drive that just for a drink, but Leland has other charms (and fish) as well.

A major thing I love about Traverse City is how very quick and easy it is to get to the charming little towns, great beaches and scrumptious food all over the Leelenau Peninsula.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Bloody Mary in Traverse City? And dinner question too!

You are absolutely right about the charming little towns in this area. But again, "26 miles, 36 minutes..." was my point. The OP asked for a spot "in town." The distance might be an important factor to her, especially after the drive up, and especially considering all the choices right here in TC. Because of the allure of that area, they might very well find themselves out there and consequently want to sample the drinks at The Cove....The fact that it's out there might even motivate them to take that drive...As long as they know when making their plans that it will be "26miles, 36 minutes." Maybe Katy will come back and tell us how it all went, and share her Bloody Mary adventures with us. Cheers!

Get answers to your questions about Traverse City