We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Quinta, Warren, MI

LA, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
La Quinta, Warren, MI

Having just spent only one of four booked nights at the La Quinta on Van Dyke in Warren, I felt I should get a report out. I chose the property for my wife and my stay after reading the reviews on this site. Obviously, they were favorable overall. I would beg to differ.

I would rate the hotel about one star. Beyond the flimsy towels, lumpy too-well-worn bed and limited amenities, was the smell. Our “non-smoking” room had the deep acrid stench of cigarettes past, cured into the very walls. Our clothing absorbed the stink and we were forced to check out with a fragrant souvenir. Shout out to the good peeps at Febreze! We should have figured this nastiness was coming when the smell of the lobby hit us upon entering the building, but we arrived a little too late to run around looking for other accommodations. We did do exactly that the next day and found a great room at the same price ($69.00 a night) at the Candlewood right up the block (check out my comments at their listing – but I will say they very cleverly segregated the smoking rooms from the non-smoking rooms by both floor and wing).

Another reason for our choosing this La Quinta were the reviews for the “free breakfast.” It was great if you’re a fifteen-year-old stoner who finally tore himself away from “Halo” for a midnight snack. Pop Tarts are not “breakfast” no matter what General Foods tells you. Sweet, sugary processed crap should not be allowed to be referred to as “breakfast” or even a “meal.” You could find better nutrition at a movie theater snack bar!

One of my concerns about Trip Advisor is that while we know what we are reading, we don’t know the preferences of “who” we are reading. So, to help the reader, I will identify the reviewer (me): I am 49, a professional in Los Angeles; I eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, enjoy an occasional cigarette with friends (meaning I’m not a militant non-smoker) and have traveled somewhat extensively.

One final note; the staff was extremely courteous and helpful not even accepting a tip when extra pillows were delivered to the room.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Quinta, Warren, MI

You should definitely write up your review under the hotel itself. A lot of people may not see this information on the Michigan forum. I'm sure many would appreciate your opinion

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Quinta, Warren, MI

If you are going to write a review, please note that the hotel is still listed as a Baymont Inn.

LA, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Quinta, Warren, MI

Thanks! I'll put it up at the Baymont.

TN
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Quinta, Warren, MI

I had already made a reservation at the La Quinta based on good reviews here, and then yours came in! So...armed with a Bath and Body works wall flower, and the idea we COULD move , should we need to, we proceeded to check in....

I agree that the lobby and the halls were pretty smokey smelling, but I have to say, our room was fine, the people were nice, and the breakfast was not as bad as you made it sound...they did have fat free muffins, apples, bananas, juice , yogurt, and an assortment of pastries, and choices of cereal . including i think raisin bran. fat free and low fat milk. and availability of oatmeal packs....I think a reasonable breakfast could be made.

We had a great price and a good stay, but the lobby and halls did smell of smoke, depending , I think on who was in charge..we saw some smoking outside, I guess it snuck in.

Our bed was comfortable , room nice, with desk, and chair, and arm chair. So to me it definitely wasnt just a one star hotel. I will contact someone about the smell...and travel with Febreeze. We always take our own pillows....I think theirs weren't so comfy.

We would have had to pay at least $2o a night more to go somewhere else and were really only at the hotel to sleep, as we were hanging with family all the rest of the time.

5. Re: La Quinta, Warren, MI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Warren
Recent Conversations