We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berst place to stay.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Topic
Berst place to stay.

I have three days to go from Dunedin to Te annue.

JULY 2012

I would like to spend two days in the same place the Caitlins if possible. There is a good base that I can end up staying after day one that will give me easy opportunity to see what I haven't,t seen on day? The third day and night we would be traveling to Riverton for the night. .

If 2 nights in same place is not recommended, spending one night here and one there is fine

I'm not doing any long trekking

What would be the best things to do on day one?

Where would you spend the night ( or both nights).

What are the best things to do on day two?

Where would you spend the night?.

What do you recommend doing on the third day on the was to Riverton?

Finally, IYO Traveling from Dunedin to Riverton are 2 nights and 2 1/2 days enough to see the area a night to long to for the Catlins

or should i stick with 3?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berst place to stay.

This is timely as I'm currently planning a return visit to the Catlins too.

Two nights only gives you one full day, and it's impossible to see both the north and south Catlins in that time frame, so you might want to do some research to see which area interests you more.

This is a very helpful website:

http://www.catlins.org.nz/

On our first visit, we based ourselves in Fortrose, spending one full day in the north and one in the south. We prefered the north Catlins to the south, so we're now considering a three night stay in the north to see what we missed the first time around.

Just to give you an idea of how much you can fit into a well planned day...

Our day in the North Catlins was spent attempting to see Cathedral Caves (closed due to poor weather), visiting Lake Wilkie, where we walked through the rainforest to the “lake”, which is actually more of a pond., walking the Old Coach Road*/Tahakopa Bay Loop Track, which is located on the north end of the Tahakopa River Bridge, not far from Papatowai (two hours return), visiting Surat Bay, where we walked down to the beach (45 minutes return, 1.5 miles, about 2.4 km). This is a beautiful area – rugged, wild and windswep (saw three snoozing Hooker sea lions).

We next drove to the bach community of Jack’s Bay* and walked to Jack’s Blowhole, a massive 55 meter deep hole 200 meters inland from the sea located in Tunnel Rocks Scenic Reserve.

It was a full day, but we saw quite a lot.

Our day in the south Catlins was spent watching our accommodation owners shear sheep, exploring the Catlins Coastal Heritage Trail (including Waipapa Point, the site of New Zealand’s worst civilian shipping disaster), where we took a long walk along the.beach.

We also visited Slope Point, the southernmost point of the South Island. The trail to Slope Point crosses a sheep pasture and leads to the top of a cliff overlooking the sea (35 minute return, 1.2 miles, about 2 km). We had a picnic at the Waipohatu Recreation Area, then got back on the Coastal Heritage Trail, next stopping at Curio Bay, site of “one of the world’s finest fossil forests”. We’ll have to take their word on that one, as we were there at high tide and could only find one petrified stump.

We also checked out the Porpoise Bay overlook and Niagara Falls.

Lots to see and do.

I hope this helps.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berst place to stay.

What seperates the north from the south?

So you think it better to spend two nights in Fortose than 1 at Kaka point and I at curio bay?

What was you 3 favorite of all places?

Where elso do you want to go in the north?

Are you going elsewhere or just to the C?

This is what we have decided to do so far?

North

Cathedral Caves

Surat Bay,

South

Jack’s Bay

Slope Point,

Curio Bay,

Porpoise Bay overlook and Niagara Falls.

L

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berst place to stay.

What about Purakaunui Falls and Cannibal Bay?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berst place to stay.

ocopy -

According my my Catlins map, north turns to south not long after Papatowai. It feels more east and west, but all references to the Catlins are made as either north or south, so it's a bit confusing.

<So you think it better to spend two nights in Fortose than 1 at Kaka point and I at curio bay?>

I don't know if it's better, I'm just telling you what worked for us. Two nights only gives you one full day, so it comes down to whether or not you want to explore between locations as you re-locate for your second night or as a day trip from one location. Either will work if you plot your course well. We had two full days, plus drive time on either side, so we had a lot more time, but we're avid walkers, so we always leave plenty of time to walk a few tracks.

<What was you 3 favorite of all places?>

I guess my favorites were Surat Bay, Jack's Blowhole and Slope Point.

<Where elso do you want to go in the north?>

I would have liked to see the Cathedral Caves (we tried, but they were closed due to bad weather), McLean Falls, Matai Falls and to have walked at least a portion of the five hour (one way) Catlins River Track. I would also have liked to walk from Cannibal Bay to Surat Bay.

<Are you going elsewhere or just to the C?>

The Catlins is only part of a 3-4 week visit to the SI.

Reply to: Berst place to stay.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southland Region
More Southland Region Topics